• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If i were to try Intel what could i get for under $400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
I have a spare 9700pro video card, and im getting a new case that comes with a psu alomost better then my antec from the specs, i can take a peice of my memory out my A64 system for the Intel. So i was wondering.

What All would i need to reach 3.5-3.6ghz. I want something thats the best bang for the buck. I am totally unfamiler with Intel nowadays and i dunno what cpu or mobo to get. Im thinking i should get a 2.8c or a 3.0c, altho maybe i should get a prescott cuss of the prices.

Anyway if someone could recomend me toward the best overclocking board and cpu that would be great

with a p4, if you can, stay with 2 sticks of ram, otherwise you are missing out on dual channel. and p4's love their mem bandwidth.

a 3.0c would give you an easy 3.5-3.6, most likely on the stock cooler. i would go for a abit AI7 mobo, as they are cheaper and alllllmost as quick as a 875 board, plus the memory voltage options are great, up to 3.2v.

You need to decide first off if you want to run a Northwood or a Prescott. The reason it matters is choice of motherboard sort of depends on it.

For Northwoods, the Abit AI7 is very attractive. It is one of the best overclocking boards with Northwood cpus but its power supply seems to be a bit overworked with Prescotts. For a 2.8c or 3.0c it's hard to beat though, and has good features and an intelligent layout as well as being affordable. M0 2.8c's run 250fsb (3.5GHz) nearly every time, it is a very safe bet. The late model 30cap 3.0c's often make it to 250fsb (3.75GHz). Either one works out well with the 5:4 memory ratio and some fast PC3200 or in 1:1 mode with some really good PC4000+.

For a Prescott, you need something like an Abit IC7 Max2 or 3, or an Asus P4C800-E. OCing a Prescott is really hard on the mb's cpu power supply section which in turn places a big load on the ATX power supply that powers it. For a heavily OC'd Prescott you need more serious cooling (water or phase change is really best), a high level of case airflow (it won't be quiet), a powerful power supply (Antec TP480-550 or better), and may present other challenges on the way to a OC that makes it the clear winner.

In the end the Prescott can be faster, but will require more cooling, consume more power, and make more noise. It will run hotter. It may be a pain to get to the 4GHz clock rates that make it worthwhile. A 3.5-3.75GHz Northwood is a lot cheaper and easier to build, and makes a simpler and more elegant rig. It is nearly as fast for most tasks. Your exact priorities should determine which route your take.

I second (or third) the AI7-for-Northwood idea. I have an AI7 and a 1.8 400mhz Northwood, currently running at 3.06ghz. (70% overclock!) I've never seen such a sweet, feature laden NICE motherboard. Abit has seriously impressed me with this board, and they'll be at the top of my list of mb considerations for years to come because of this one single motherboard.

Well I have a Abit IC7-G Max2, the step below the Max3, and a 3.0E CPU as well. in my opinion, the IC7 board I have is great. Im able to overclock to 3.75ghz and have it stable for days, Im also watercooling too. One thing I dont like about it is only 2.8vdimm. I know this is limiting my overclock. so I would suggest IC7 and 3.0E if you have cooling to go with it.

Back