• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor twitching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opio

Hey, lately my 20 inch monitor started this twitching problem where it twitches horizontally randomly. It gets bigger for a quarter of a second, then goes back to the original size. This has been getting annoying when I am trying to use my computer or playing a game on my computer. I bought the 20" SONY Trinitron GDM-4011P oem SGI V.Flat Screen from merkortech.com, at http://www.merkortech.com/product_view.aspx?product_id=280 Does anyone know why it would be doing this, and if/how I can get it fixed? thanks.

Jesse

lol, I have a 19" Gateway that twitches virtically... It makes a nice "Click" when it goes back to it's proper size too. It's been doing that for about 3 years now and hasn't broken yet. But to answer your question, I have no idea why this happens or how to fix it.

Does it twitch in all refresh settings?

My monitor twitched at all refresh settings a while ago. I thought it was a bad video card. Ended up being that my water pump was too close to my monitor.

See if it twitches while in BIOS, where windows doesn't have an opportunity to change around the refresh rates. Hopefully we can narrow down if it's a refresh setting or not.

If it's a monitor problem, I'de say your best bet is to try to reset all settings to factory defaults- and if it still keeps bugging you- look into RMA'ing it (will be a PITA). Repair jobs will probably equal the price of RMA'ing since you generally have to pay shipping there and back which will not be cheap for a 20-inch monitor.

Yeah, it actually twitches the most frequently in bios, like twice or 3 times every second. The more I raise the hz in windows, the more it twitches also, like at 90 hz it twitches every 10 seconds, and does a vertical twitch where it looks like its about to give out or something. It used to be able to run 90 hz no problem, but now im running it at 60 hz and it twitches every other minute or so. =/ I can't get an RMA on it, since the 6 month warranty already expired.. is repair possible if i took it to a shop myself instead of having to deal with shipping?

Opio said:
Yeah, it actually twitches the most frequently in bios, like twice or 3 times every second. The more I raise the hz in windows, the more it twitches also, like at 90 hz it twitches every 10 seconds, and does a vertical twitch where it looks like its about to give out or something. It used to be able to run 90 hz no problem, but now im running it at 60 hz and it twitches every other minute or so. =/ I can't get an RMA on it, since the 6 month warranty already expired.. is repair possible if i took it to a shop myself instead of having to deal with shipping?
It sounds like something simple to repair, though I don't know who to ask how. Your monitor is MUCH worse than mine was. Mine would twitch every 10 -20 minutes, and sometimes would go a few days without twitching.

Back