• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 XT platinum - AGP or PCI-X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krazykongo

is the platinum an AGP card or PCI express?

iv seen a few saying that its just pci express and sum saying both.can somebody please clear this up and also can u giv me a list of the manufacturers selling a platinum speed card for AGP.

Its available in both flavours, with as far as I know ALL manufactures having an agp and pci-e model of the xtpe card, tho good luck finding an agp one at the moment!

The PCIe x800 will offer no current performance increase over AGP. This is because PCIe is still a very new technology and it will take time before motherboards can exploit the bandwidth of PCIe to its full potential. Conversely, most benchmarks between AGP and PCI-x cards show the AGP holding a slight lead over its counterpart. With that being said, you don't need to upgrade your motherboard to enjoy the x800 XT PE (unless you want to). Besides, the NF4 will most certainly have its fair share of initial kinks to be worked out until they begin to run smooth.

You can either sit tight a bit and wait for the NF4 to come out, our look into an upgrade now. Personally, I'd wait a bit for prices on the x800 to drop some, but if you are looking to burn your cash now then you'll be fine with an AGP card.

deception``

Back