• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm totaly stumped....my FX-53 rig randomly lockup at default.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Hmmmmm, I can't seem to figure this out. I ran memtest for 2 hours and I got 0 errors I ran "Hot CPU 4" and it all came up clean. I do not have my rig OC'ed at all, however, I did OC it to see what I could get when I first got the rig, just for benchies, I never left it oc'ed. I did set the bios v-core to 1.7 and tested it at that but noticed Asus Probe indicating 1.775v so I backed it down. CPU & ram all test good. I wonder if its the mobo? My specs are in my siggy. I am thinking about ditching the FX-53 setup and going back to Intel....I never had probs like this with Intel. Any help will be appreciated.

It locks up the most when I use Word and print at the same time. Itjust locked up on me when I was surfing the forums and watching my PVR Leadtek xp2000 Expert.

THanks fellas....krag..... :eh?:

*edit* Oh yeah, almost forgot, I have SP2 installed as well.

Do you have XP service pack 2? I had similar problems.

Other than that, did you try prime95? Checked your drives for bad sectors? If you cant seem to fix it, tear it all apart and put it back together, maybe the heatsink isnt making good contact with the cpu(btw what are cpu temps?).

Cpu temps are normal 45c idle and 58c load. I have tried prime95 but just for a couple hours and all was good, maybe I'll let it run over night tonight. Hmmm, you say you had problems with SP2? I did hear about some probs for A64 users, I thought maybe it wouldn't affect me but looks like it has, I'll uninstall it when I get back from work today.

Uninstall SP2 and all will be well.
SP2 has has some problem that causes the A64s to reboot/lockup in windows.
Try uninstalling it and see if the lockups continue

I would suggest a reformat. I have tried SP2 5 times so far, and I had problems ranging from google crashing my pc to not booting at all. These were all at different stages of development.

Welp my brothas! :) So far so good. I uninstalled XP-SP2 and updated thru windows update. I tried a word doc and printing and it works very nice, no lockups so far everything is smooth!!!!!!

I'll do some more testing and let you guys know what happens.

*Update*

While uninstalling SP-xp2 helped tremendously, it seems there is another problem. I got another random lockup yesterday so I ran prime95 overnight. I got up this morning and checked my rig......it was locked up tight!!! I set it to the "blended" test. I guess its RMA time for the chip. I have not abused this chip in any way it. Yes, it is at factory defaults...all defaults. :-/ :temper:

Yuriman said:
Maybe parts of SP2 sill linger? Did you try a reformat yet?

Hmmm, thats possible. I just completed a 6 1/2 hour tourture test of prime95 for the CPU and it came up with no errors. I'm kinda dragging my feet on the format thing, it takes too long to load all my software. I'll proly do it in the next day or so.

krag said:
Hmmm, thats possible. I just completed a 6 1/2 hour tourture test of prime95 for the CPU and it came up with no errors. I'm kinda dragging my feet on the format thing, it takes too long to load all my software. I'll proly do it in the next day or so.
Use a fresh install on a different drive, for testing. Just load some basics.

Heh, I have a "utilities ect" folder. Takes me about 2 1/2 hours total for all games/drivers/software, most of it with me sitting around reading or something.

Back