• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8500 and Xp problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigdogbmx

Im building up a computer to sell and I put my old 8500 in it. XP detects and installs its own driver which would be ok but when I fired up call of duty to check the 3d performance it said 'cannot start openGL' So I thought ill install catalysts and see if that works. They install OK then after the reboot as soon as it gets into windows it does a BSOD to fast for me to read and restarts the computer. I tried 2 different versions of catalysts and the same thing happens. It runs ok in safe mode which I have to go into to uninstall the cats. Does anyone know what would be causing this? It runs fine when Im using the XP drivers except for as I mentioned before when I try to start call of duty it fails.

I havent actually. Ive only tried cat 3.4 and 3.6. Ive actually given up on the 8500 now to be honest I just chucked in a TNT 16mb card and its all running silky smooth. Ill keep the 8500 as back up for my own comp.

Back