• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing ATI x800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kurant

I don't have the balls or know how to really get down and dirty and softmod these cards. I did a 9800, but that only cost me 147 bucks. The x800 however, cost me alittle over 450 and I'm not willing to chance it, yet. But I'm close. :cool:

Anyway, just curious what kind of temps in the ATItool are acceptable for ocing? Idle on mine is 37C load 50C. It's clocked at 533/570. Is it safe to go higher? Still new to the overclocking of video cards.. so.. Just a couple questions. =)

-- Joe

Hey your load temps of 50C are really good. Is this using the Find Max Core in ATiTool?

Usually the point where you need to really worry is when the temperatures go above 80C. With the stock fan, I was getting up to about 74C on load so I set the threshold to be at 80C. But at the 50C you are at, you're more than fine.

Those clocks too are really good. Which x800 do you have?

Sorry, 60C, not 50.

Either way, yes that was using the Find Max Core in the ATItool. It's an actual ATI card, purchased from outpost.com.

Oh, no it's a pro.

I have a question, what exactly does the max core test do? Is it a guideline, or is it somthing that you should follow closely? or?

Well there are lots of betas out for ATiTool right now. The latest being the 0.0.23 Beta 5. Those are supposed to be better for the x800 series.

Unfortunately with the x800 series, sometimes ATiTool will take it up to the point where the computer locks up and you need to reboot. Either that or a huge amount of artifacts will show up all at once.

I'd say it's a pretty good guideline to go by. Use that find out the max core and then probably back off a bit(by 5 or 10mhz). As for the memory, ATiTool may find artifacts early and it would be good enough to follow what they find but you can usually clock a bit higher without getting artifacts. With the find max mem, you shouldn't have a problem with locking up.

Good luck.

Back