• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU ripped out by AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vthondaboi

Registered
my mobo crapped on me and when I removed the heatsink the CPU came with it :bang head

the cpu was locked in place and I was using srtic silver, blahhh

i bent the pins, like 20 of them back into place with my fingers, it now works better in the new mobo

w00t

Mine does it all the time but my pins neaver bent. i don't knw why my mobo can't just keep it there i mean as5 is stron but it can't be ripping CPU's out of there sockets.

man if this crap always happens then it's not worth using AS5, is there some paste like the paste on stock heatsinks that won't rip the cpu out, not worth it for 2-5 degrees IMO

Just curious, what cpu do you have. I'm wondering if the as5 will bond better to silicone than the nickle on the intel heat spreaders.

If two surfaces are absoltely flat, then even a film of water could produce that much suction. Have you tried giving it a little twist before pulling it off? If it is bondling like glue, you could sharpen up a piece of plastic and shove it in between the heatsink and the cpu.

I'm wondering if the people having this problem are spreading the AS5 across the whole heatspreader. I follow the instructions and put a very small blob in the center without spreading it and have not had this problem.

My Intel chip came out when I removed the stock HS and every time since then with my SP-94, HS....

Stock thermal tape
AS Ceramique
AS 5

No bent pins to date..;)

I always just put the little grain-of-rice sized dab on my heatspreader and I've never had a problem taking it off. Interesting...

twist before removal... twist the hs/waterblock once to once side, and then to other side before remove... Just an extra precaution that'll save u headache

i only put a grain size drop on there and mine always comes out with the stock heatsink.

p4 that is, i have yet to try on my a64

I think the instructions on the Cp-90 said to spread out a thing layer of paste on the heatsink AND cpu. I actually spread a thin layer on with a flat piece of metal. How can you just use a small dab, especially when you put the heatsink on it twists around.

it happens with everything, it's usually only the heatspreader cpus like the intels and A64s. It happens to me everytime i pull it off and it happened to my friend every time too.

yea you should seriously try twisting the HS back and forth a few times, there is no reason to be pulling that hard

It could be a badly made socket and retaining bar for the motherboard. I've certainly never had this problem nor heard of it until I read this thread. The only thing I can think of is that the socket itself isn't holding the pins in place properly when the retaining bar is put down.

Back