• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro AIW voltages..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rabidrabit

I seem to be having a voltage problem with my 9800 pro AIW card. My first card lasted 6 months and then failed to work. The fan spun but I had no video signal on either of the machines I put it in. There was a burn mark on the card as well as the power connection into the card. I returned the card under warranty and recieved another. The second card is working but behaving strangely with occasional crashes out of games as well as no video signal on boot. I generally get a video signal in windows however it can fail to work in either DOS or Windows mode. So far, changing off the video cards with the older GeForce 2 then back again seems to get it working for a while. I assume this may be an issue with voltage again since the power connector is getting burned again. I did not change any system voltages but the Abit AN7 GURU motherboard reports the following voltages:
3.3 voltage 3.44
5 voltage 5.18
12 voltage 11.98

AGP VDDQ 1.58
AGP voltage 1.55

Are any of these an issue? Do you have any recommendations? The older GeForce 2 AGP card I'm using otherwise is running without incident but I'm concerned that the 9800 may be more voltage sensitive or I may be entirely off base. I'm trying to avoid a repeat toasty card. Any thoughts?

thanks!

welcome to the forums!!!!!!

If you want us to help you diagnose the problem you'll need to give us your system specs. it could be any number of things from too small of a powersupply to a bad agp slot on your mb.

I'm guessing the problem is directly related to the vid card since I'm seeing the power connection get browned up. What gets me is there seems to be no negative effect on the older card and both 9800 pro cards I used seem to have the same issue. This would point to a systemic design issue if I'm right. My question is: is anyone else running a 9800 pro AIW on similar voltages? I can adjust them all to get to another setting if one of mine is too high. The power supply is a Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W so i don't think it's a lack of power issue. Given that when it misbehaves in dos mode as well as windows I'm assuming the vid card drivers (Latest omega) are not the issue. The machine itself is a selfbuilt 2600M OC'd up a bit with a gig of ram. I can dig it all up if someone feels it will help. please let me know and I'll figure it out and post up any spec needed.

thanks again!

Back