• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference in stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

Could somebody explain to me what the difference between a C0, D0, D1, M0 (etc etc) stepping is? What does it mean to the processor and the rest of the system? why would one be higher desired then the other? is one really actually better then the other?

A new stepping is primarily a minor revision to a CPU. Often, Intel will introduce a new stepping when they are ready to introduce a faster processor in that core line up. Kind of like "new and improved" which generally means increased core yields for overclockers. So, getting the most recent stepping will usually increase your odds to a slightly better overclock... sometimes... maybe.

I, the Intel newbie has a guestion.

For an Intel CPU, are "C0, D0, D1, M0 (etc etc)" the actual stepping or are they the revision? I know with AMD they have a 5 letter code which is the stepping I beleive, and the "C0, D0, D1, M0 (etc etc)" or something like it is the revision.

With an Intel, how do you tell what it is? Is it right on the chip?

The stepping is not printed on the chip. But, the s-spec code is, so can look it up that way. For example, my 2.4C has a s-spec of SL6Z3, so if you check the Intel webpage s-spec chart you will find it's a M0 stepping.

Ok, so in theory, when comparing the sl7e5 to the sl7b8, with D0 and C0 respectively, the sl7e5 would be better a newer. But, specifically for a P4c800e-d motherboard (or any other asus board supporting the sl7b8 14x multiplier) wouldn't the sl7b8 actually be the better chip? my sl7e5 wouldn't let me choose in the bois, i tried using different revisions, including the newest and that is supposed to support it.

Am i anywhere on the right track in my theory? or am i just an average newbie trying to see the light :-/

First off, thanks batboy! That helped me quite a bit.

MikeyLikesItSI said:
Ok, so in theory, when comparing the sl7e5 to the sl7b8, with D0 and C0 respectively, the sl7e5 would be better a newer. But, specifically for a P4c800e-d motherboard (or any other asus board supporting the sl7b8 14x multiplier) wouldn't the sl7b8 actually be the better chip? my sl7e5 wouldn't let me choose in the bois, i tried using different revisions, including the newest and that is supposed to support it.

Am i anywhere on the right track in my theory? or am i just an average newbie trying to see the light :-/

As you can tell I am no Intel expert, so I will try my best, but consider this a bump as I would wait for other people before you take my word on it.

I would think the sl7e5 would be the better choice as it is a D0 vs. a C0 probably being newer/improved/better etc.

Back