• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok ati tool doesn't artifact, 3dm2k3 does?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thenerd

my current oc is stable for around 10 minutes on ati tool's artifcat scanning, but starts artifacting on the first 2k3 test... i doubt overheating is my problem, since my idle is 30 and load 50.

could be just the limits to the card. ATITools is an awesome program, but it has been know to get to higher speeds that dont artifact in the program itself, but will in fact show in games and benches.

Can you provide the card information (brand, chipset, oc speeds) and maybe we can tell you if that is in fact the approximate limits of the card

I let ATi tool run for a stabile count of an hour and a half. I had no problems in 2k3.

I just do it by hand. Up the mem and core by ten, and then I run the dragon canyon in 3DMark05 to check for artifacts. If not, then up another 10. That's the best way to do it IMHO.

10 minutes artifact free really isn't enough. I'd wait for at least 30 artifact free, and preferably an hour or more.

Also, while ATITool is certianly an awesome program, sometimes other programs cause artifacts first. I don't know why, but it's probably like how something can be Prime stable but not game stable (or vice versa). Just go with whatever is stable in everything.

JigPu

I don't trust ATITool and still recommend doing it manually.

My thing has always been that I don't play games in a 400x400 window, so I don't see how that can be a reliable measure of whether or not my video card can handle the overclock.

In any case, if you do decide to use ATITool, take the other's advice and run for at least an hour or so with the desired clockspeed settings.

Back