• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cellphone got wet, help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tamz273

Registered
Hello guys,
i was at sea a few days ago, and my phone got soaked, and i ddnt have my eyes on it. When i went to check if i had n e calls or messeges, i saw that it was turned off, and dripping water...

i attempted to turn it on, with no luck, so i decided to just take it apart n hope it dries out n works

I left it in the sun for an hour our 2, and attempted to turn it on again, with no luck...

then i got home, and decided to take it to the agent, and yet the agent said that there is no hope, the phone is dead...

so i decided ill try to open it up at home, and c wats going on, and so i did and i saw that lots of sheets of metal on the phone where rusted...

what do u guys recommend i do? i read sumthing about washign the phone with sweet water to take away the salt water, but im not convinced, so i thought at as u...

thx in advance!

My phone fell out of my pants in my car, and then it rained for a good four hours before I realized it was raining(top down) and it absolutely POURED. All I did was take out the battery, and leave the phone(battery socket side-up) in the sun for about 4 hours, and dried off the battery. Works fine.

but thing is i attempted to turn it on, so it wont turn on anymore...
any other suggestions before i attempt to rinse it in water?

I have had 2 Cell Phones go trough the washing machine and both of them died because of it. There are certain components inside the phones that if they get wet, they are completely destroyed. I was smart this last time though, cuz my carrier then offered insurance against theft and accidental damage, I took it.

ok i got pics, but i have no where to host them...
can anyone help me host them plz? i can email them to anyone...

if you wereout at sea, then assume the worst, you got salt in the phone. in which case youd probably be wise to rinse it under a tap for 5-ten minutes to get rid of the salt before trying anything further. and keep the battery out it til test time, if its damp and youve got a charged battery in it it could shoot. and those metal sheets are a combination of two things normally, one : the protect the phone from outside interference. two : they are normally tied in with the aerial as part of the tranmit system.

ok, will try to rinse the PCB with water for about 10 minz, and leave it under the hairdrier for another 30...

will be back to you asap neo, thx!

say neo, i was just about to rinse it, and realized the LCD, wouldnt it get deffected if that got rinsed in water for 10 minz???

I would say that the phone is dead, and you should just go out and buy a new one. If you want to try to get it working, go right ahead and rinse it out, its not like you can do any more damage than whats already been done.

It's mostly likely gone. I have the Nokia 6800. Took a trip to California one weekend, took a walk on the beach. A wave splashed my leg, my phone was never quite right after that.

Back