• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Filesystem? Mount Pt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

I am installing mandrake 10.1 and wanna know what all these different things do/mean:

Filesystem types:
-Linux swap
-Linux native
-Journalised FS:ext3
ReiserFS
XFS
JFS
-FAT32

Mount points:
/boot
/home
/tmp
/usr
/vav
/vav/ftp NOTE: vav MAY be rar and i could have copied it down wrong
/vav/www

thanks!

it's "var"
ext3, reiser, XFS and JFS are all different filesystems (like NTFS and FAT(32))
linux swap is the partition type for the swap partition, linux native is the one for linux partitions.

Linux doesn't use drive letters at all. instead there is the root directory which is simply /

All filesystems are mounted under root. basically any directory can be a mountpoint for a new disk, cdrom, floppy, etc. Don't use too many of them right now. Just create two partitions: one for Linux itself, the other for swap. no playig around with mountpoints yet. you will have to mount your CDs and preexisting windows partitions anyways (usually the installer will do that for you)

/boot is the directory used for storing the linux kernel, boot loader, and other files used at boot.
/home is the directory where all users (except root's) home directories are created. Your home directory is the place on the machine where you have write access. You store your data files, configurations for different programs, etc. here (like My Documents, kinda)
/tmp is the directory what Linux programs use for temporary disk space.
/usr is the directory where many of the files used by all users (programs, program libraries, program documentation) are stored.
/var is a directory used by frograms like ftp and apache (web server) for file storage.

Each of these directories can exist under / on one hard disk partition, or each could exist on different partitions or differnet physical drives.

Ken

ReiserFS 3 is best for lots of small files, sometimes caused corruption. Reiser4 is out, which fixes a lot of the issues, but i think uses a good bit of your cpu.
FAT32-readwrite for both linux and windows is the only good thing about it. Limitations on file sizes, 4GB, pretty slow.
ext2/3-one of the older filesystems, stable. 3 is journaled, so when you shut down wrong you dont have to wait as long for it to check the file system. There are windows drivers for these

so which do u guys think would be best? (PS im dual booting...mandrake and windows xp pro

Back