• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CRT or LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saltytheseagull

I just got a Gainward 6800 gt golden sample. I love it. I'd like to get a new monitor though. I'd like to spend no more than $200. I'd like it to be at least 17" if a crt or 15" if it is a lcd. Any suggestions? I have a friend who bought his from computer rennausaunce for $100. It's a nice dell. It was used but is really nice. Should I just to that? LMK

It really depends on what games you like. You will not find a good LCD for gaming in that price range. You really need to spend about $450 to get a decent LCD and even the BEST LCD still is not as good as a CRT when it comes to response time. I have a 12ms response time on my LCD which is the lowest you casn get at this time and I still see a tiny bit of ghosting when I play Midnight Club 2. I would say go get yourself a 17 to 19 inch CRT for the price you are looking at. You can probably even get a 21 inch for $200...

Sounds like the good old crt it is? Now what are some recommendations? I'd like to get a flat screen, but i might be out of my price range.

This is by far the best deal you will find. The tube is a Sony Trinitron with a .24 dot pitch. I bought this same unit in white from Fry's about a yar ago, and have had not one problem. I know it's a refurb, but that just means It was opened or went back to dell to be fixed to FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS. It comes with full warranty and exchange priveledges. If you have a Fry's near you go in and get it to save on the shipping. Good luck on whatever you decide, keep us posted!

I'de also suggest getting a trinitron tube. They are the brightest clearest monitors you will ever have the priveledge to look at. If new sony trinitrons are out of your price range, look into new mitsubishi diamondtrons (they use the same tube). I got mine for $150 at best buy after rebates about a year ago.

Specs:

17" Mitsubishi Flat CRT
SuperBright Diamondtron
DiamondPoint SB70

The only problem that you will notice when you first get your *tron tube monitor are the horizontal lines (from aperture grill- the two wires you see hold the horizontal grill in place, and the two horizontal ones cast a shadow against bright backgrounds). If this will bug the heck out of you, avoid *tron tubes. When I first got mine I wondered what those lines were, but the brightness and clarity of the screen caught my eye more than the shadow. After a few weeks I hardly noticed it. You can only really see them on a bright background, and even then you have to be looking for them.

That refurb is the exact thing I was thinking about. My friend bought one of those (I think it was a 17") at computer renaissance. I'll definately check those out.

Thanks for the link *jj. I just ordered one. I've been looking for a deal for the past few weeks and that's the best I've seen.

It's out of stock so it'll probably be a few weeks before I receive it.

Misellus

If you want something that you can put your money on being good then get a g90 viewsonic at newegg.com. I don't know why but the g90fb has free shipping on it right now. I got mine for $220 shipped to my door, this thing is awsome. Check out the viewsonic website for specs.

Graphics series G90FB
19xx by 17xx or something like that is the max resolution
1200x 1024 90 HERTZ
1600X 1400 85Hertz

I don't remember, check out the webpage. This monitor is truely the best I personally have seen to date. I am seeing and noticing things I have never seen before and am in AWE.

That dell/sony is a sweet monitor, I bought my current 19" viewsonice E90f a few years ago at the same time my friend picked up a similar refurb for about the same price as mine. I'm jealous :mad:

I got a monitor from a friend for FREE that is a ton better the then one I had. I can do upto 1280X1024 without looking like crap. I know it's not quite as good, but it is good enough for now and the best part is it was free.

Back