• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have 34 fans - how may do you have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingaaar

Hi all,

When building/upgrading computers for peeps I always come across fans.

For example, I built a pc for some old bird the other day and she said to me, "here you can have my old computer" which was a Pentium 100Mhz with an AT psu and desktop case.

As usuall, like I do with all broken PSU's etc I removed all the worthless junk that I think I can use (which then sits on top if the tumble dryer and around the kitchen much to the missus's dismay), like jumpers, floppy drives, hard drives of 1gb or more if im lucky and old sound cards.

Yep, Open up the PSU and remove the fan. And then the fan from the case.

In fact I have tons of fans.

What shall I do with them?

My two Computers have 8 fans in total in the cases and I have another 34 in the cupboard near the sink.

Hmm.... Ive considered building a remote control hovercraft, a glider or aeroplane. I think they are too heavy though.

I never buy fans now, coloured LED's or otherwise... They are not worth selling as fans are cheap and these fans are no sdoubt cheap.

Most seem to be 12 volts at .12 amps.

Any advice welcome! :)

Ging.

Replace your side panel with a "Wall-o-Fans" :cool:

my chieftec side panel is 43cm x 49cm
that is about 5 x 6 = 30 80mm Fans

if you got a 80mm hole saw and started drilling you clould have some excellent flow in no time :)

i don't know how the air could get back out of your case but I'm sure you are creative

p.s. if you wire the fans in pairs in series to give each 6v they wouldn't be very loud either

:-/ Well the best advise is to get some boxes and clean up all that mess. Nothing worse than having to wade through tons of junk (so called useful stuff) at a friends house.

Funny how you always think something will come in handy and mostly it just fills places in your house :-/

Oh yeah....I have a few of those boxes too.....ummm....need a 3.3v 0.1 amp CPU fan? Big time cooling there! :(

If you're currently using an 80mm fan on your heatsink "hollow" one of the fans out & use it as a spacer. Gets rid of the dead spot. You could also hollow a bunch out & make a make a shroud. Lots of possibilities. A wind tunnel for die cast race cars would be pretty funny.

combine them and make a super fan.
i tried putting a box fan next to my open case (2500+M @ 2.4ghz) and got worse temps, lol

realtadiquantu said:
combine them and make a super fan.
i tried putting a box fan next to my open case (2500+M @ 2.4ghz) and got worse temps, lol

Huge dead spot on a box fan and while it moves lots of air all over, any one particular spot isn't necessarily getting that much air.

Make a fan tower - sort them out according to which way they turn then put them all in a contra-rotating stack

Helllooo jet engine :D

i like the wall of fans idea, just wire them to an old at psu, woudn't really be worth it but it would be a great avatar

i think i have about 17, tornados, wide range of deltas and some other good fans i just can't bear to get rid of. will use some eventually...

Back