MOD for desktops to become Mobiles

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 06:51 PM Thread Starter   #1
||Console||

MOD for desktops to become Mobiles

Kingston 3x 120Gig SSD
Evga 670gtx Sc 4gb
Corsair Tx750 V2

" If that Bong is filled with the right stuff you wouldn't give a damn how much noise the cooling system made lol" ViperJohn
||Console|| is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-11-04, 07:14 PM   #2
mumrah

mumrah is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-11-04, 07:17 PM   #3
theMonster
Disabled

Ok, read the article and this is my conclusion:
Putting an XPM into a desktop makes sense because lower watts+less heat=massive overclocking.
Putting an XP desktop proc into a laptop is just doing the reverse of the above, which serves what purpose? To say it can be done? To get a higher PR rated chip into a laptop??

Very interesting, but stupid.
theMonster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-11-04, 07:23 PM   #4
man_utd

....I just saw toms hardware call the slk800a "low end" compared to a zalman 7000Cu. Maybe low end in cost, but far from low end in qualiity and ability
man_utd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-11-04, 07:52 PM   #5
cetoole

There are many problems in that article, like mobile chips being much smaller than desktop chips. While there are some that are much smaller, mine is the same size. I have heard about this mod before, but I think it only works on via chipsets.
cetoole is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-11-04, 08:13 PM   #6
man_utd

In other words, completely worthless for overclockers. Honestly though, what's the point of underclocking something to 300mhz? Setting a record for underclocking! Great, unfortunately, however, AMD already showed an athlon running at that speed, it's called the Geode. Ya, I really do not like Tom's hardware guide, but whatever, however I don't see too many people really worrying about modding into a mobile, as a pure bread mobile will offer much better overclocking due to the binning than adding multipliers.
man_utd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-04, 03:58 AM   #7
emboss

Nothing particularily new in that article ... people have been doing this for close to a year now, and it was known what to do right back in the Palomino days (though there was no reason to do it back then). The main reason to do this is that if you live outside the US, it's very hard or impossible to get mobile Athlon XPs. For example, here in New Zealand, a Barton 2600 (which is cheaper than a 2500, ironically enough) costs around $NZ130. Since there's no local retailer who sells mobile CPUs, the only option is to order it in from overseas (and even that isn't easy as very few retailers will do international orders). Last time I checked, this would have cost in the order of $NZ300. I kid you not.

So, if you're wanting to have a mobile-like chip for power-saving reasons, then filling the bridges is your only option. Also, if you want to run a modern chip at its full potential in older boards, then you need to mobilise the chip to be able to use non-stock multipliers. This particularily applies to dual Athlon boards, which are limited to a 150MHz FSB or lower.
emboss is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-04, 04:28 AM   #8
oc_byagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMonster
Ok, read the article and this is my conclusion:
Putting an XPM into a desktop makes sense because lower watts+less heat=massive overclocking.
Putting an XP desktop proc into a laptop is just doing the reverse of the above, which serves what purpose? To say it can be done? To get a higher PR rated chip into a laptop??

Very interesting, but stupid.
isn't this mod all about unlocking desktop chips???
oc_byagi is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-04, 06:32 AM   #9
BeerHunter

10 Year Badge

THAT wasted 6 minutes of my life I won't get back.
BeerHunter is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-04, 11:45 AM   #10
Petr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_byagi
isn't this mod all about unlocking desktop chips???
I found this nearly a year ago. THG simply put it on their website, used my chipset registers info and description of the problem and "forgot" to mention source of that info. Answer to your question:

1. It is useful on superlocked CPUs because this way you can change multiplier even on those. FSB, however, is still a limit.

2. You can control max. performance and that is also max thermal power with this. For example difference between 2000 and 1000 MHz at full load can be more than 10 degrees Celsius.

But... what is important - with this you do not alter idle power consumption (eg. what is the most important factor for silent PC in night, for notebooks ect.). That is because normal situation is CPU is in Stop Grant state (when it is not disabled and it isn't on most of newer boards) and it's frequency is reduced to much lower values than 300 MHz. For idle power reduction you would need SoftVIDs to be supported by motherboard but as I do not know of any such a mobo...
Petr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-04, 04:42 PM   #11
cetoole

So you still need 1.65v to run at 300mhz, right?
Old 10-12-04, 05:16 PM   #12
Petr

You can lower voltage but not on-the-fly what means basicaly you can not change voltage.
Petr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-12-04, 07:57 PM   #13
cetoole

But don't you still have to boot at stock speed, so need the voltage that is required for that.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs