• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duelie Upgrade Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimInMA50

Registered
I'm running the following:

MSI KD7 master-L mobo
2 AMD 1700+ painted running 1.9ghz
512mb registered ram

I know my mobo is going to be outdated soon, so what would be my final upgrade for this system? I've heard people talking about the MOBILE chips... are they paintable? Or do you have to buy the MP versions?

hmm...I say your kind of at the end of the road. I've heard problems with the KD7 and the mobiles...aparently they just arn't stable in SMP. Also you won't see much of an increase...probably 200-300mhz...not worth the 150+ price tag IMO. I'd consider waiting for opto's to come down or find a nice HT xeon setup around 3.2ghz....but even that won't be a staggering upgrade.

Im running two 2500M's on my MSI K7D no problem. They are running at 2.2ghz each. Havent heard of other people having problems with them but they work for me. I bought them this way from another forum so I couldnt tell you if the guy before me had any problems with it.

i have read of multiple cases of k7d running mobiles without problems...at 2cpu.com and here...

and if can can keep the cpus cool, you should be able to hit 2.4ghz and maybe more with 1.7-1.8v....and that means about a 30-35% performance increase with the extra 256k cache and the increased cpu speeds...

Back