• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Points per WU...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seabee

Here is something I found interesting. I know you guys that started F@H way back when, used to get WU's that worth only a point. So, it my search, I only looked for people who I where confident started F@H around the same time I did.

I only have 82 WU's, but 14,101 points. Where as Clean_Baldy has 149 WU's but only 15,268 points(at the time of this posting of course). Looking at this page on THIS EOC PAGE, which is page 6, no one else is close to 100 WU's let alone under. One person on page 7 is at 101 WU's(and he has 10,000 points), but none under 100 WUs.

Does this mean that my borgs are more "efficent" or something. I have personalized my F@H installs for each borg, are the flags and different settings that much of a difference in how they borg?

Right now, I am getting what seems to be an amazing 171.96 per WU. The next closest(that I have calculated at this point) is 99.01. Maybe they should start a stat column for this stat.

EDIT: The next closest to me that I came across was by [TEL], he has 110 points per WU.

Last edited:
I started back when folding first did, when you'd see 1 pointers. I don't remember my exact reasons for quitting, but I acquired a lot of my WUs back when they weren't worth much at all.

Ok, guess you were a bad example then. But still, I have not found anyone over 110, and I have 171. I guess more of my question is about productivity. I didnt think setting the flags and such would make that kinda of difference.

I'm guessing that you've had more Tinkers and very large Gromacs than the others..... for example, there's a lot of Gromacs that give a 155 points or more. Back when I started, I got about 30 points for a gromac.... so if I did 50 gromacs that gave me 30 points each and you did 50 gromacs that give 155 points each, that would explain why you have a higher points per WU than we do.

I understand what the 'old' timers had for points. But, even if more points are giving out for some WUs, look for instance at *jds*(not a good example, but he is fresh in everyone minds), he will turn in hundreds of WUs but only a 1,000 points or so.

If I didnt set the flags and other settings, would I be getting more of those 'low' pointers? Or am I just lucky at this point, and should expect those 'low' pointers later on?

(1VB)Seabee said:
Here is something I found interesting. I know you guys that started F@H way back ...snip... at I came across was by [TEL], he has 110 points per WU.

Basically, most of the people around you started a long time before you did, and have since quit folding.

They crunched old work units, which were worth much less points, prior to stanford changing the points system. Back in the day, I think, low pointers were worth like 5 points or something. Now "low pointers" are worth like 30-60 points.

The current point system puts way more value on current folding, and the ones who crunched tons of work units back in the day do not have as much to show for it.

jds is a whole different story and shouldn't be used in comparison here - there are other factors which affect his total.

IMOG, pretty much nailed it, but there is also the possibility of you getting less work units, but ones worth more points.

Also, I have been getting a bunch of Gromacs that do not finish, so that as an example, would be that I am sending in tons of WU's that are only giving me a fraction of the points they are worth. If someone else got mostly large tinkers, they could have many less WU's sent in, and the same or even more points.

As an example, if I send in 200 WU's that only go a few frames each, lets say their average points per WU is 10 points. If you send in 20 Tinkers that are on average worth 200 points each, I have 2000 points with 200 WU's and you have 4000 points with only 20 WU's sent in.

Back