• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just some quicky input/suggestion needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Meh. pretty simple really. I just rebuilt the pc i had to toss out a while ago for money reasons. im not really so well setup atm to build a new box based on the latest and greatest, so im just building as close to highend of the previous generation as is possible.
Enough to keep me able to play the games that are coming in close to high detail without studder, but without breaking into thousands of dollars. my long term pc plans are really waiting on Nforce4 and pci express to become mature in the market. Ie, i dont want to have to worry about being able to get any hardware in pciexpress flavour. also, i want it to have been out for long enough to be reliable. stable drivers, performence ect. as well as the costs to come down.

So for now, i just need to buy a video card that will have to last untill next october. See system in sig, but im pretty torn on what to grab. Im thinking of just getting another Radeon9800pro 128 mb. they are almost all 256 bit now and that with a vga silencer would sure get me some good results i think. that costs $300 cdn shipped.. not so bad. but then i get to thinking, would 256 mb be a big impact in newer games that require retarded amounts of memory?
Well, i cant stand any less than 85 hz, and my monitor can only run that at 1024x768. So im kind of considering getting the 256 mb version, but i highly doubt it will make a difference in that res.

There are also several prices ive been looking at for x800 and 6800gt cards and i just dont know if i should bother with those. on this box, it seems they would be a waste of money, since my next machine will not use any of the parts from this one, save my ddr.

So, should i go ahead with a 9800pro 128 mb and hope for the best? or should i save the extra $300 cdn to buy a 12 or 16 pipe card. i really dont want to get a 6800np.. its $140 more than a 128 mb r9800 and i dont think its performence is really worth that.

In my honest opinion Id just stick with the very repectable rig you have now and not upgrade at all - it should see you through until your planned overhaul, especially at the res you play at.

Back