• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800nu + p4 1.6a or new mobo/cpu ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhaseZero

Would my northwood severly restrict the potential of a 6800?, even if oc'd to 2.4? I can't decide whether i should upgrade my g4mx440 to a 6800 and keep the rest of my system, or get a new mobo/cpu combo and wait a couple months, except i'm so tired of waiting, anyone who owned an mx440 knows how much it sux to not be able to play anything outside of cs. In otherwords, which would be the better route?

The general rule is this:

If your processor is holding back your video card, then you need to up your resolution and/or your video settings until the two equal out. Example: If your video card gets 60fps at all resolutions from 800x600 to 1600x1200, then you're obviously bottlenecked at your CPU. You might as well turn on as much AA and AF as possible until your framerate starts to drop bel,ow "normal".

So while your 1.6A (even at 2.4ghz) might keep you from the UBER framerates, it shouldn't keep you from running 1280x960 at 4xAA and 8xAF with full forced trilinear :) Know what I mean?

Back