• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a 6800GT at 650/1.4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Misticl

I just installed new memory Corsair 3200/400 dual channel 1 gig. And i did a clean sweep of my sound card and re installed. Then after i got all that set i did detect optimum setting on the video card and it set them at Core 650 and Memeory at 1.40. I have a 21.3" lcd that i just switchedf over to last week from a 21" flat crt. I am wondering how am i getting this high of a clocking and how do i know if things r getting damaged at this level. The temp at idle is 55 and i am afaid to load a game at those setting so i have knocked them back to 427/1.13 which is what they were at before the clean sweep of the sound card. I did delet 3 folders from windows temp folder . I followed the steps given to me from Audigy tech support. Also at the lower (origonal settings) the clocking of the memory will ocasionally reset itself to 1 Gig???
Please help i dont want to fry my $400 vid card

That's practically impossible that you are getting such speeds unless you're using some kind of phase change/liquid nitrogen cooling for your video card.
427/1.13 sounds pretty realistic. By the way, what kind of cooling are you using? 55 is good for idle.
To stress test, I recommend downloading 3DMark 2005 and 2003 from futuremark.com
Run the tests and if they don't crash, and there's no noticable artifacts, your card is pretty stable.
What program are you using to overclock? Are you sure you're overclocking the "3DPerformance" not the 2D? Those clocks sound way too high to be realistic.

yes it is in performance 3d. That is why i s posting before i trash my card i cant belive it either. I am using coolbits to overclock

Well, a good thing you can do is download those programs I listed above and run them at 427/1.13. If they don't lock up (especially the last test on 2005) then keep raising the clocks until you start seeing artifacts or it starts crashing.

Also, to get a more accurate estimate of what your card can do, run an intensive 3D application such as Far Cry/Doom 3/3DMark 2003 and 2005. Before running, have your properties ready to go, so when you exit out of the application, you just click on "detect optimal." Try that and see if it still says 650/1.40

so it is basically detecting optimal settings at the desktop now with a load?

i wish this would have stayed in the video forum more traffic there

the auto detect feature in coolbits is not very reliable or accurate, it is highly unlikely that your card can do 650/1.4, and i think the reason this thread isn't getting any traffic is because the answers to ur questions are obvious

There something defiantly wrong with the auto detect. Try reinstalling coolbits and see if that corrects it. Not a 6800Gt on this earth going to run 650 on air or watercooled.

JeffP said:
There something defiantly wrong with the auto detect. Try reinstalling coolbits and see if that corrects it. Not a 6800Gt on this earth going to run 650 on air or watercooled.

maybe throw a piece of dry ice on top of the gpu? :D

JeffP said:
Depends on your definition of watercooled ;)

Throw a 226W watercooled tec on that puppy and it might do it :D

I doubt even with a tec it could do it or I am almost sure someone on the extreme boards would have done it already and that puppy would have set a 3d03 record. 550 with a tec is more likely, and maybe 500 on good water.

Even 427 and 1.13 is pushing pretty hard on a stock card. I would'nt recommand any long term use without upgrading the HSF at those speeds or you will likely kill the card. I have the same card and run it at 400/1050 unless Im benching because its fast enough for current games at those speeds. At 427 you might even be getting thermal throttling and not realize it...

Back