• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows media center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Hey guys I was wondering if windows is going to be selling the Media center OS anytime soon. I am building a media center and I heard that the new 2005 version is suposed to be really nice. Anyone got any ideas? Also anyone had any problems when hooking up direct TV to an AIW Card?

Yea I have my AIW hooked up to cable at college, but when I come home, the direct TV seems to mess up

Anyone have any experience with this OS? I heard it was really good for a HT, but I wonder what makes it so good.

From what I remember at the last IPD conference where some MS dude spoke, WMCE is basically a modified version of WHE in that most of the active directory based stuff like joining domains etc has been disabled. I should have asked if they support hyper threading because that is another feature missing from WHE which would be silly to exclude from a Media center pc.

If you want i have some 120day timebombed copies they handed out I could send you to play around with, pm me.

You should be able to use dtv by running the s-video or composite out from the box to the inputs on your card, but it can't tune dtv. MCE is just a modded version of XP, I dont know if it supports your card. I think that at least previous versions of MCE required a hardware encoder, which you don't have. You can build your own media pc based off regular XP, for more information look at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=26 but have fun with your machine. What kind of TV will you be hooking this up to.

Right now it is going to be hooked up to a 40 inch HD tv. It should be interesting. I just want it to work the way I planned on it. We shall see

DVI connection, I hope? Have fun with that HTPC, try using ffdshow for DVD playback, makes a huge difference even on my 22" screen, and even better for lower quality video.

I read up on the new WMC 2005 and I heard some pretty good things about it. It says that it does pretty good play back and recording. I need it to be usable by my girlfriend. I have made one with XP, but I am going for a more smooth and funcional feeling. I just think the WMC allows you to contol things much esier through a remote. Anyone know if you have to by the WMC remote or will the AIW one work fine?

Ahem.... as for the NewEgg page reference selling the OS for $139, it clearly says right there on the page,

"*Must be Purchased with Hardware!!*"

I suppose there are other ways to get it......

Yea see that it my problem. I just want the software. What I did find though is that Snapstream's Beyond TV3 is a program that makes xp very simular to WMC. I have not used this program personally, but my friends have said it is very nice. Also it has gotten really good reviews is most of the computer magazines (still getting about 8 a month free from the last deal :) ). Just thought I would give you all a heads up.

I have beyond TV and it is indeed an excellent piece of software, especially since it is almost half the price of MCE. The only thing it doesn't to that MCE does is play media files, however if you buy BTV you can register for snapstream's beta program and download the beyond media beta, which is basically snapstream's response to MCE.

So for $65 you get the best tivo-esque program going and if you are willing to be a beta tester you can get the Beyond media program as well.

Beyond TV (and I assume Beyond media as well) also works out of the box with the ATI remote.

Well you made a believer out of me. I am going to order it tomorrow. Can you get it from Newegg, or is it just a from company thing? It sounds like a good program that will rival microsofts hold.

Back