• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Digital Camera Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXCeSS

Hello all,
Well after having a HP Photosmart for about a year, I've decided that I need a much better camera. I am looking to spend around $500 or less on the best camera I can.

At the moment I am looking at the Fuji S7000. Are there any other cameras (SLR-ish like the S7000) that I should consider?

Thanks a lot any help is appreciated :)
-Andrew

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000/

There is a good review of the camera you are looking at and for the money I think it's a good one. The super CCD looks like it can produce some soft images at times, but keep from doing a lot of croping and blowing up and I think you'll be find. It would help if we knew what you were taking photos for as far as suggesting a camera for you. If you're serious about digital photography and $500 is your cap then I'd say you're looking at a pretty nice camera. Shop around and read some reviews and see what you like as far as quality and features.

www.dpreview.com
this site has hundreds of reviews and in-class comparisons of digital cameras. I like how they'll compare the camera and test it with another one in it's class.

About the only other advice I'd give you is to get software like bibble 4.0 or photoshop CS or even paint shop pro to digitaly process your raw image files. Doesn't look like Fuji gives you good software to work with from reading that review on your camera.

I like my Nikon D70, and in some ways I like the Nikon Capture software, but I've found others to be better in terms of usability and performance. The Nikon Capture software just doesn't perform well in my opinion. I like Bibble 4.0. If you're in the market for free software then I would suggest TheGimp. http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/ I haven't used it yet but I've heard some good things about it. Bibble and Paint Shop Pro have pretty good prices also.
Shop around and don't be pressured to get something right away. Educate yourself, I took two or three months educating my self on the D70, D100, and the Digital Rebel. At first I thought for sure I'd get a digital rebel, but then after reading about the D70 and testing both the rebel and D70, I found myself knowing which camera was right for me. I'm Nikon all the way when it comes to SLR. They make some of the best lenses out there and their camera's are great. Canon does make great cameras as well, but I've always been fond of Nikon.
Whatever you get I hope you enjoy it and get plenty of use from it. I'd suggest a 1GB SanDisk Ultra II for your mem for that card. You'll get a decent days worth of shooting on it and have great read/write performance with it. They can be found for $100 roughly at newegg.
I use a 4gb Hitachi Microdrive and the performance is good and I definately love the space. Hundreds of RAW images to play with. I've been shooting RAW all week and still haven't filled the card :)
BTW www.jr.com has hitachi 2gb cards for $139 and the 4gb is $169 after a $50 mail in rebate. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Shoot away and let us see what you get.

Wow. Now if that wasn't a bragfest....

Anyway, my recommnedation to you, excess, would be to take a moment to ponder your current knowledge and future goals for your photography and consider making the jump into dSLR.

Now, my next statement is a mighty mighty simplifications with a lot of exceptions, but when it comes down to it, there are SLRs and P&S, and most P&S are, well, just that - you point, and shoot. If you are serious about learning photography, take a class, and then make your purchase. And most likely, you would purchase a SLR.

I would say, save your money, add a hundred or two, and get your self a nice used SLR, and go from there - and keep your HP as a handy pocket cam..

I would agree with mfjonny - save up a little more and get a real dSLR. Have a look at the Nikon D70 & D100, and the Canon 300D (dRebel). You may also be able to find some cheap demo or EOL 10Ds around now that they're being phased out in favour of the 20D.

after some thought i went with the s7000, its the perfect mix of slr and pands

and it takes some good pics too :p
DSCF275.jpg

Back