• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mach II installation complete...questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aphex_Tom_9

Ok, so i just fired up my computer + prometeia for the first time, looks interesting so far. ill put up a pic or 2 later if possible. but something is worrying me. ive been running Prime95 for 10 minutes or so, with my 2500+ Mobile at 13x182 = 2370 mhz, with a vcore of 1.75 (according to MBM) and my load temps are right now 29 c! when i booted i saw a nice 6c temp in the PC health thing, but now under load, it's getting pretty warm for a prometeia. the front lcd reads -39c...should i be worried, or is that okay for that vcore on a mobile?...it just went to 30c, and the monitor went to -38...do i have a leak???

EDIT- nevermid LOL, the slight buzzing noise i heard which i thought was a leak was infact the NB fan on my NF7-s dying...i tightened the bolts on the evap head block and am now getting slightly better temps, and the prometeia is idling at -47. i was getting worried/pissed there for a second.
i'd still like to know if high-20 load temps are okay for a 2500+ at 1.75v...

Last edited:
so the mach 2 is reading lower than the onboard cpu.
i think it is because the mach 2 isnt reading the actual proc temp.
i think it is reading off a side of the evap block and it is colder there since there isnt really a heat load in that area.
i could be wrong but i think i am right.

~Magick_Man~

okay, it's running nicely now, i got the control center going and i pushed up the condenser fan speed, and that brouhgt my idle temps to 4 c. kickass.

I don't know much about the Mach II, but I would have expected idle temps to be well into the negaive range. At those settings your cpu isn't even putting out 100 watts at load.

hmm, well i used the "overclocked cpu wattage calculator" and came out with 86 watts, so you're right. i may have some more tweaking to do, but im pretty sure im getting good cpu contact, and the bolts are pretty tight on the head...

ok, load temps are now at 13c, huge improvement, i think if i tighten the bolts a tiny bit more i can get it even lower

okay, that's what i think too, but i dont want to crush my core...ill give it a little more pressure and that's it

okay, new question-
the compressor is REALLY hot, like i cant keep my hand on it for longer than 2 seconds, but i hear that's kinda normal...is it?
btw- i pushed my oc to 13.5*182 at the same vcore and it seems to be stable, sweet!

You dont have good head contact. You should see Idle temps that are right off of MBM-which means your MBM should be reading at -105c. I run a 2.8 at 4.1 and still see idle temps off the board. My loads are at -17 at full, prolonged load. Its very typical to get bad contact for new users. A hint will be that the head temp stays much higher under load. And when you power on there should be a stick where it takes a while to get down, if you just just shoot to -49 without a stick temp, like -18 then that too indicates bad contact. The promy temp is at the evap head and not the core. When you have good contact you will see the temp drop within 15-20 of the core under load. Also since you are new get yourself a pen light and watch daily for condensation on the head and around your seals, look good. It takes a few tries to get the seal down and I still check mine every day even though I am sure I got a good seal with this CPU, this time. I have been suprised, once I thought I had it down and it got cold and I put the heater on and I checked and bam saw some droplets, had to reapply the head. Are you using dielectric grease?

ok, thanks for all that lol, im at school at the moment but will tighten the head when i get home, and look for a good light to watch for condensation. i put on extra seal string pretty much everywhere, but ill keep on the lookout anyway. and no, i have some dielectric grease, but i didnt use it for this, the manual didnt say anything about that...
the mounting bolts have springs and washers on them, would removing a washer or 2 help with contact? because the bolts are pretty tight now

oh yeah, primed overnight at 14*182 at 1.84 vcore, stable :D with a load temp of 18c, which is pretty damn good anyway haha, but i kno it can be better.

Last edited:
As the other members have stated, your system is making VERY poor contact with the core if you are in the positive range with that setup.

Think of it this way: you run a higher risk of damaging your cpu by having a poor contact. As you are tightening the screws you will feel when you have contact with the core (significant added resistance). You should definetly be seeing some - 35-40, nowhere near what you are getting now.

Cheers and have fun :D !

ok, thanks for the advice, but id like to know if removing some washers would help. anyone have experience with that??

make that, 'adding some washers' i thought about the dynamics a bit and realized i would get better pressure with more washers haha.
I took off the head to check the cpu and everything, (and messed up the sealstring around the bracket :bang head), it seemed to be making okay contact, but i cleaned off the Arctic Alumina, checked the shim (which i had to cut a little to fit...maybe i bent it or something...) and cleaned the head, it's still a little cold so im gonna wait before i reseat it...

Couple things. WHen changing over the head make sure you give the system some rest, about 45 min off , before you move that flex tube around. Those tubes do damage when cold and people do get leaks from working with cold systems. The copper gets much less break prone when warm. You should use dielectrict grease on the pins, the CPU caps, inside the socket core and on the caps under the back plate. Using a new toothbrush is a good way to get it into the pins. You most likely will get corrosion without it and if you do get condensation it will save your stuff. I even apply a light coat on my vid card in the drip zone under the evaphead just in case. Just to let you know its really common to get bad contact on those and it just takes a little time to get it right. Its really common to get what you think is a good seal and then one day PSSSSSSSSFFFFFT.

okay, i greased up the socket, reset the shim, re-applied the paste...getting the mounting bracket off is a PAIN. so then i booted and...5c in BIOS. im very sure im making good contact because the thermal grease is spread really really thin on the cpu after taking off the head. Now that i think about it, i think i know why im getting higher temps than expected- MBM and the BIOS are reading from the SOCKET THERMISTOR, UNDER the CPU. i bet if i check the die temp, ill see better results...ill test that theory now...

wow, this is awesome, im running windows stable at 2717 mhz at a 2.09 vcore, evap head at -41, now lets see if prime can run, if not, ill bring it down a bit i guess, but this is awesome.

As an experiment try lowering the voltage back to default and see how high you can go - because the CPU is now running under properly active cooling it can now go much faster at the same voltage, but more voltage increases the heat output tremendously. It's more of a balancing act than with air/water because leakage and thermal effects are now of much lesser magnitude.

hmm, maybe ill experiment with that a little...
okay, new question- now with a vcore of 2.06v, even under heavy Prime load, MBM reads the cpu diode as -54c all the time...should that be? the evap head is at -33 right now after about 7 minutes of torture test, and the diode temps is still at -54...that cant be right...the socket temp monitor shows 27c, which sounds right...

also, ive noticed that turning up the condenser fan speed manually to the max helps evap load temps a lot, is there a way i can make that fan run at full speed when windows boots?

Back