• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro or 6600GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvblake22

9800pro vs. 6600GT?

I know they're on different systems (AGP vs. PCI-Express) but there will be an AGP 6600GT eventually...

But anyway, just performance wise, so far, what do you guys think between these two cards if they are running games on 1024x768 resolution with full AA and AF?

well i don't think you can really compare the two..... the GT would probably smake the 9800pro and make it say DADDY.... however, you have to consider the cost of the new platform upgrade.... for right now with an older system, the 9800pro would be the best value.... but if you were planning a complete upgrade I'd go with the GT in a second.... (if of course those were the only two choices.... :D)

What about if the AGP version of the 6600GT performed the same as the PCI-Express version? Would the 9800pro still get kicked around with fill AA and AF if both cards were on equal platforms?

I know this is a pretty theoretical question so don't think I'm being some crazy dumb a$$ throwing out stuff off the top of his head, just "What do you THINK would happen...":)

from what little i've seen... all things being equal and both agp, the GT would still win in just about every benchmark.

If the 6600gt was available in an agp version and those were my only choices then I would definitly go with the 6600.

--Josh

What about the 256 version of the 9800 pro? Does the extra 128 mem give more preformance or the DDR3? Also, does anyone know if we will see a 256 version of the 6600gt and or x700xt?

6600gt as far as I can see, is superior or equal to the 9800 in all aspects :)

Would the 6600 beat the 9800 in hl2? Suggesting that if you play (going to play) hl2 or anygame using the hl2 engine, would the 9800p beat the 6600?

Right here, proven, in pretty simplistic ways but the 6600gt beats the 9800xt in most of the newer games. What a great buy for only 200 bucks! :D

Link...

Mav2KM said:
Right here, proven, in pretty simplistic ways but the 6600gt beats the 9800xt in most of the newer games. What a great buy for only 200 bucks! :D
Exactly what I was thinking too!!

So the NV4X architecture is much better than previous and can still perform well with AA and AF. 'Caus I remember the 9800's, 9700's, and 9600's did very well even with AA and AF while the comperable nVidia cards ran good untill any of those extras were enabled and then they pooped out pretty quick.
From what I can see from the benchmarks it appears that the new nVida architecture is much better in this aspect but I still wasn't sure if was enough to beat out the former champions of AA and AF.

how about this???

is 2 6600GT better than 1 6800GT???

this is off the topic, but I am just curious.

Mav2KM said:
What about the 256 version of the 9800 pro? Does the extra 128 mem give more preformance or the DDR3? Also, does anyone know if we will see a 256 version of the 6600gt and or x700xt?

BBA 9800 Pro 256 revision 2 card with the square heatsink uses Hynix 2.5 ns DDR 1 identical to BBA 9800XT. If the card is flashed to an XT it is behind beat by a 6800nu, both at stock speeds in most benches. The 6600 GT is slower than the 6800nu so I would say that a 256 pro would be not be way behind a 6600GT on the same agp platform. I am correct that the 6600 GT is an 8 pipe card right?

I just saw the xbit labs link, the 9800 pro still is a decent card but if the 6600 GT comes in at $200 I guess you have to go that route but only if one wants to go PCI as I expect the wait for agp to be a bit longer right?

CK

i would think they would be very similar in speeds. but the ati has better image quality. nvidia is better for opengl games, and the ati would be better for d3d games. it's a tough dicesion but i think you will be happy which ever way you go.

I was about to get the 6800Gt, but this IQ problem is really holding me back from buying 1.

I was thinking about getting X800, but it looks weak when compare to the 6800Gt. they have to compare the X800XT to the 6800GT. The 6800GT totally squash the X800pro. Plus the 6800GT has a good chance to o/c to Ultra spec too.

Sigh.............. why........ why........... why.......... I don't know what I want anymore.......

Back