• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ggcr

Registered
I started hacking away at a water cooler that I had at my shop since no one uses it to drink water. I thought that I could use the cold water to cool my system. I fiqured I could install the pump directly inside the metal container that holds the water. I had filled up the unit with water and by pass the temp switch and I got some ice within 5 minutes. Has anyone tried this? Is there any draw backs? I had seen people using the large ac units which I dont have the space for, looking for something compact and fiqured that It would work out fine. Any suggestions it would be great.

sounds cool (...unintentional pun), only things i can think of are- you'll have to insulate all the lines, and can it handle a constant load?

I guess I going to try it out and see what happens. Just going to install it straight with no rad, just the pump and water blocks

If you can, you might want to fire it up now and measure the current draw to see how powerfull it is. To cool a hundred watt cpu you should have a two hundred watt capacity water cooler. A compressor capable of that should draw one amp.

This is only a guestimate, so if someone knows the exact specs, please let us know.

I checked the data plate to see what was the rated amps and it was 1.2 amps. I guess I would have calculate the loads including the pump. Or I can just get an inline pump and not have to worry about the temps going up any higher. How do I go about calculating the cpu?

Back