• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9800Pro: R350 vs R360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pronoob

Can both be modded to R9800 XT
and also can R350 core's Pro reach R9800XT's performance by mono overclocking?

Well, I'm pretty sure that the chances of you flashing to XT with a R350 core are pretty slim, but almost guaranteed with an r360 core. The main bonus to flashing to XT on a R360 is that if it has a XT pcb on it; you will have the Overdrive feature and a temp prope that now works. Your performance will jump quite a bit as well.

As for overclocking it to the same level. I'm at 420/370 with my r350 core, which isn't too bad. But with the XT, I'd be getting higher I'm sure. I just can't flash to it.

Edit that: I can flash to it, but I don't want to. There wouldn't be any added benefit, because I wouldn't get the Overdrive or temp probe.

most people say that the r350's are better o/c, so there isnt really much between them unless you enjoy the better shaders available from flash to XT with r360, overdrive and a temp probe

pronoob said:

yes, both generally can be overclocked to xt speeds and both can be flashed to xt if you choose. However as with all flashes make sure you get the right bios for your card.

basically all the xt bios does is tighten the mem timings

the average r350 will overclock better than the average r360 (same voltage)

I prefered to flash it with the same 9800Pro but with higher clocks in core and mem :)

Both can be flashed to an XT card with the correct 9800 XT BIOS, and either can typically be overclocked a good deal past 9800 XT speeds, with good cooling, and a bit of luck.

However, if you flash an R350 cored card with an XT BIOS, you will see some artifacting in a very few programs due to the shader that the R350 lacks, and the R360 has. The most common of these programs is the troll jump test in 3DMark 2003.

All-in-all, you can't really loose with either core so long as you don't get a bunk card. R360s with an XT PCB are generally the most desireable card, if only for the built-in temperature probe.

I've seen just as many heavily overclocked R360s as I have seen heavily overclocked R350s; although R350s typically clock up a little bit higher than R360s tend to with similar overvolts and cooling, the difference isn't signifigant, or any reason to change your purchase plans.

crimedog said:
basically all the xt bios does is tighten the mem timings

the average r350 will overclock better than the average r360 (same voltage)
The XT BIOS uses additional shader features. Memory timings are the same.

In theory, R360 Pros are actually failed XT's, so they may have a chance of doing worse. On the other hand, they're much newer. All in all its hit or miss with either, so don't have your heart set on one specific core.

Malon, you're missing out on this:

xtvspro.JPG

pronoob said:

No. An XT or XTized bios used with an R350 core will have display errors in some DX9 apps/games.
3DM03 Battle of ProxyCon and Trolls Lair are two example.

On average an R350 core will far out OC an average R360 core. The R360 has the advantage
of being able to use an XT or XTized bios and gets a through put boost from the better shader
optimizations. That is seldom enough to put an R360 card ahead of the typical R350 card when
both are OC'ed to the nines though.

Viper

Back