• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800XT's Temp Sensors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
all xt (x800, 9800 and 9600) cards have temp sensors.... also the 9800pro cards with the xt pcb have temp sensors. back in the day you could only get the temp sensors to work on the pro cards with a flash to xt.... but now I understand you can even get them to work in the newest atitool without the flash.

whats an XT pcb?

HousERaT said:
all xt (x800, 9800 and 9600) cards have temp sensors.... also the 9800pro cards with the xt pcb have temp sensors. back in the day you could only get the temp sensors to work on the pro cards with a flash to xt.... but now I understand you can even get them to work in the newest atitool without the flash.

jcw122 said:
whats an XT pcb?

pcb = printed circuit board..... it looks different than the pro board.

PLOBBY said:
with the older ati tools can you?

I don't believe you can get temps on a pro with a xt pcb until atitool 0020 or later. before 0020 you have to flash it first.

If you have an R360 core on your 9800 Pro/XT, and you have an XT PCB with the LM63 IC on it, then you can use your card's temperature probe.

Some manufacturers, like MSI, use non-reference PCBs for some of their cards, which means that the card may or may not have LM63, regardless of whether the card has an R360 or an R350 core.

Any 9800 with a Pro PCB, and no LM63, either doesn't have, or can't use the temperature probe.

How would I know if I have a pcb or LM63. I have a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 and ive been looking into flashing it to XT, you know if this card has temp sensors I can read?

On the 9600XT it's on the topside of the board (when it's installed) between the AGP slot and backplate. It may be in the same position on the 9800XT but I'm not sure. If you have an LM63xxx chip with 8 legs somewhere on the board then you can get thermal monitoring.

Back