• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Gen Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hybrid_Dragon

Registered
When are they supposed to come out? I hear after christmas in febuary, just wondering if romers are true. There is no point in spending 400$ now and getting a 6800gt when in 3-4 mounths it will be 300$ and newer ones will be out that will double the 3d mark scores of the previos gens.

I don't think there will be a new generation of Cards coming but there may be a refresh of the x800 or 6800 cards coming out soon ie. clock speed and memory changes. The core change wont come out till next summer or fall. At least that is what I heard.

Heh, using your logics, we should never buy new parts and always just keep waiting for the new stuff. There'll always be something new and there's nothing we can do about it. It's inevitable.
One good thing is that there'll always be someone who would want to buy your old stuff for a cheaper price, so you do get, in most cases, at least half of your money back.

As for when the cards are coming out, I truly don't know. I doubt it would be that soon. My guess is somewhere late next summer. Late July or maybe September.

I think the next gen ATI will be a new design. The r300 pretty much reached end of the road with XT800 PE. nVidia's next step should be PCI express and SLI to go with NF4 boards. I doubt they will be around by X-mas. We are still have trouble locating 6800 Ultra extremes and XT PEs rightnow. If I were you I'd look into a PCI-e 6800GT and do SLI later :drool:

secretweapon said:
I think the next gen ATI will be a new design. The r300 pretty much reached end of the road with XT800 PE. nVidia's next step should be PCI express and SLI to go with NF4 boards. I doubt they will be around by X-mas. We are still have trouble locating 6800 Ultra extremes and XT PEs rightnow. If I were you I'd look into a PCI-e 6800GT and do SLI later :drool:

The r300 core was over by the 9700. 9800's used r350's and r360's and the new x800 agp uses r420 and the pci-e uses r423. Im not positive about the pci-e version though./

--Josh

ati and nvidia have both been on a 6 month release schedule for a while, first they release a new core, then they release an update to it, either memory speed changes or very minor core changes.

austinbmxnig said:
im not sure if i want a next-gen card or switch to A64

I would go for the a64. If you got one of the new-gen cards then your cpu would be a bottleneck.

--Josh

Z YA LTR said:
I would go for the a64. If you got one of the new-gen cards then your cpu would be a bottleneck.

--Josh

I would do the same too, a next gen card most likley will be only pci-e to begin with. I hear ati says the x800xt will be their fastest and last agp card ever. as for new gen cards, probably not till mid to late 2005. refreshes late 2004 or early 2005

Back