• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just bought a 9800 - opinions plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
eff_wolf said:
only 128 bit though :\

no, actually that card is 128mb and 256bit..... you'd do even better to get either a sapphire or an msi 128mb card and flash it to xt.... you'll save about $50 and still have the same performance of the 256mb card.

:p

I think id rather pay the 50 extra bucks and have the card set the way i need it instead of flashing. I'm not to good with all that stuff.

eff_wolf said:
Im thinking about buying this card
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-163-111&depa=1

Just like to see what others think. My friends opinion wasn't to helpful.

proformance/price? is it good
Thats about the max i can spend on a card.

You can't tell anything from the pictures. If you looks carefully pictures 1 and 2 are two different
cards. Card with GPU coolers like that were spec built for Dell.

Viper

If $250 is the amount you are set on spending on your card, and you aren't willing to flash or overclock your video card, that card probably is the best choice for you.

However, I personally would rather save myself $50, and buy a 128 Megabyte 9800 Pro instead; the extra 128 Megs of RAM makes very little difference performance-wise, over the 128 Meg version. "Celestica" is also not the best known manufacturer, you're better off with a larger, better known company, as they usually have higher quality products, and customer service.

You can get yourself a 128 Meg Sapphire 9800 Pro practically guaranteed to come with an R360 core and an XT PCB from zipzoomfly.com for ~$200. You don't have to flash or overclock your card if you don't want to; performance is nearly on par with the 256 Megabyte version at stock speeds anyways.

well i ordered a sapphire 9800 pro 128mb 256 bit a week ago from www.ncix.com and it came with the r350 core i was so excited that it would prolly be the 360. I was so disappointed i wanted to cry, i wanted to flash to an xt :cry:

felinusz said:
However, I personally would rather save myself $50, and buy a 128 Megabyte 9800 Pro instead; the extra 128 Megs of RAM makes very little difference performance-wise, over the 128 Meg version.

I disagree with that.

A 256mb card will definitly handle textures better at higher settings in games, than a 128mb card.

Just tweaking Doom 3 makes that clear.

There is much more you can cache "memory" if you have 256mb video memory, than you can with a 128mb card. The possibility of you using AGP memory is cut down in half when the video card has 256mb, so I will disagree with that. Benchmarks don't tell the story all the way, when it comes to game performance. There's some places in CS and Doom 3, that a faster 256mb card don't lose alot of fps, where as it does on a 128mb card. If money is not an option, 256mb will definitely be a better choice when it's on a video card that can handle it.

infinity_4_you said:
well i ordered a sapphire 9800 pro 128mb 256 bit a week ago from www.ncix.com and it came with the r350 core i was so excited that it would prolly be the 360. I was so disappointed i wanted to cry, i wanted to flash to an xt :cry:

There is no reason to cry. Cheer maybe but not cry. The average R350 will out OC the average R360
a long way and more than enough to over come the shader advantage an XT bios gives an R360 core.

What memory chips does the card have???

Viper

ViperJohn said:
There is no reason to cry. Cheer maybe but not cry. The average R350 will out OC the average R360
a long way and more than enough to over come the shader advantage an XT bios gives an R360 core.

What memory chips does the card have???

Viper

I got the hynex memory on my videocard. But from what i hear the Samsung is better. I hope im wrong.

For some reason when play CS:Source my fps stays at a constant 40 but then drops to around 20 and back up to 40, this happens about every 2 seconds.
P4 1.8 ghz
ECS p4s5a mobo
Sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb 256bit 350 core hynex ram
350watt generic psu
40gig 7200rpm
19" KDS monitor
my 9800 pro is oced to 409core 350memory stock cooling and a 80mm fan facing directly underneath the card. Also i know my mobo can handle a p4 2.2 ghz cpu but im not really interested in buying a new cpu i need my money for school.

Last edited:
infinity_4_you said:
I got the hynex memory on my videocard. But from what i hear the Samsung is better. I hope im wrong.

For some reason when play CS:Source my fps stays at a constant 40 but then drops to around 20 and back up to 40, this happens about every 2 seconds.
P4 1.8 ghz
ECS p4s5a mobo
Sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128mb 256bit 350 core hynex ram
350watt generic psu
40gig 7200rpm
19" KDS monitor
my 9800 pro is oced to 409core 350memory stock cooling and a 80mm fan facing directly underneath the card. Also i know my mobo can handle a p4 2.2 ghz cpu but im not really interested in buying a new cpu i need my money for school.

Yes Samsung 8E-GC2a chips would be better but the Hynix isn't all that bad either. The OC
about the same or slightly better than the original Samsung RA-GC2A chips did. Your stock
over clocks are very soft for an R350 Pro card of any memory flavor. The 409 409 core clock
sounds like an above average R360 core.

If you frame rate go regularly going from 20-40 while you are just sitting at the same place
in the game with static display screen and not moving the mouse to change the view you
have something running in the background the is probably hogging the CPU. It could be darn
near anything but what you discribe is very common with a virus infection. Look to see if
you are getting internet or hard disk activity that coincides with the frame rate changes.

Viper

Well my cpu usage seems to vary between 15 and 30 and my memory usage stays at a constant 253mb. I seem to be running 3 "IEXPLORE.EXE" at the same time under the processes tab. I most definately have something running in the background how can i end these processes cause when ever i do, all of my explorers and start menu disappears.

infinity_4_you said:
Well my cpu usage seems to vary between 15 and 30 and my memory usage stays at a constant 253mb. I seem to be running 3 "IEXPLORE.EXE" at the same time under the processes tab. I most definately have something running in the background how can i end these processes cause when ever i do, all of my explorers and start menu disappears.

Well unless you opened Internet Explorer and forgot to close it you shouldn't have any instances
of IExplore running. Sounds like you have a virus.

Viper

The 9800 is getting old rather quickly, :sigh:. What card do you currently have?? Depending on your card I would wait for the next gen of cards and grab a 6800 GT. If you can't wait I would try the 6800 LE.

sapphire 9800pro 128mb 256bit r350 hynex memory. yeah i just went to norton's site and did a system scan and i got 2 trojan viruses blookhound.packet and backdoor.prorat so im just gonna format this *****. :bang head

Thanx for the help guys

Back