• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What RAM should I buy? This is so confusing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clean_Baldy

Hey everyone!

I'm building an AMD64 754 machine, and need RAM. I don't want to spend too much, and want to run Dual Channel (512, or 1GB total)

I'm going to be playing a lot of games, including the new HL2 and Doom 3. I realize that RAM is important.

I may overclock, but if I do, probably not a lot.

What RAM should I buy? You all seem like the RAM gurus...

You can't run dual channel on a 754 board, you need 939 for that. Best ram to get is something using TCCD chips for your board, same with 939 boards. Gskill and OCZ seem to be the best, but what is your maximum price? I suggest going with the gig as your games will run much better.

My price range is not constant. I'm trying to put together a gaming system for under $700, including everything.

I want RAM that will work good with my system, thats it. It doesn't have to be the best, and I really don't want it to be. I can't afford that.

You and a "friend" want to get this RAM, and he will happen to leave it at your house while you "accidently" give him some money. It is either BH-5 or CH-5, but people have been getting BH-5, and with a budget of $700, this is the best you will do, and it is a very good choice.

Hey, I was going to stop by Fry's tomorrow and get some Kingston RAM. I have 3 options.

2 512MB of Value RAM @ $59.99 each
1GB(512x2) of Value RAM @ $129.99
2 512MB of HyperX RAM @ $79.99 each

Is the HyperX worth the extra $40 for someone on a tight budget? Does getting two dimms together in a kit make any real difference?

if ur going to get a 754 mb consider the dfi lanparty. they have the legendary Oskar wu working for them now. he was the maniac that created all of abits bad*ss boards.. then get some tccd based memory from pqi/ocz/gskill/corsair/pdp/kingston. many guys can run ddr620+ in t2 mode

Back