• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i charge an alkaline battery with NiMh charger?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No...

The alkaline battery may explode... but don't quote me on that...

I do know that you really should not use alkalines on a NiMh charger

alkaline batteries support only 1 charge, after that its like putting diesel in a unleaded tank.

lol ive charged alkaline batteries in a NiMh charger sure it works but to many times and they leak and ruin ur charger :( damn hard to clean off

Unless you get specifically "Rechargable Alkaline" batteries, do NOT try recharging them. Normal alkaline batteries are not designed to withstand recharging and may leak (probable) or explode (unlikely) on you.

You might be able to recharge a Rechargable Alkaline in your NiMH charger, but you'd need to read whatever documention came with it to see (or google for it and see if it will charge them). If it dosen't recharge NiCad though, it probably won't recharge Rechargable Alkaline.

JigPu

You should'nt charge the battery on any type of charger, it probably has a warning on it saying not to charge it, as it may explode. You can charge NiMH batteries on a NiCad charger but it does not do the cell any good, and its the same the opposite way round, charging a NiCad cell on a NiMH charger can damage it. If you get a charger, get one which is compatible with NiCad and NiMH cells... you cant go wrong then, plus the fact rechargable cells will cost less in the long-run ;)

well obviously my alkaline is rechargeble.... i have both nicd and nimh charger, but no alkaline!

Alkaline rechargables are safest with NiCd rechargers since NiMh rechargers feed more charge at peak, which is really only safe with NiMh rechargable batteries. If you want to recharge RECHARGABLE alkalines, definitely avoid the "fast" NiMh rechargers for that very reason.

I personally prefer NiMh rechargables since they're more robust.

i dont understand why people use rechargeables more....2 years ago i spent 10bucks on a pack of 4...me and my bro split it for our CD players....cant complain at all! i have a NiMH/NiCad charger...takes a good 7 hours for 2, or 12+ for 4...but its totally worht it..my digital camera drains alkalines terribly...

well obviously my alkaline is rechargeble

Sorry, but you didnt say that to start with though and i presumed it was a non-rechargable as most I've had were. :-/

i paid $10 for 4 duracell nimh, then i bought 4 more...they are great. i have a $30 1 hour charger, it would kill any alkaline but dayum!
one hour, i get about 2-3 weeks on my wireless mouse, a month on my keyboard, a few hours in my cd player (those ones are over 600 charges in) and flashlights, well, dunno. They havnt died yet, but how often do i use a flashlight?

Great things, paid for tehmselves in less than a month for me. (and i diddnt have a job at that point, it was allot of cash)

Back