• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need a little help here...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

hey guys, got a problem that someone can hopefully shed some light on.

recently my dad had been problems with his computer (abit kt7-a, athlon 1200, 512mb pc133 etc), and the problems seemed to be with the power supply. so i splurged on a 400watt antec but it didn't solve the problem. he figured it was time for an upgrade, so i chose some replacement parts for him online and i put the new computer together.

we kept the same case, the new PSU, optical drives, and the 60gb hard drive thats less than 2 months old. upgraded to abit nf7-s, barton 2600+, 512mb of crucial pc2700. i put everything together, spent a long time with the wiring and cooling (older thermaltake athlon heatsink with a delta 60mm screamer from 2001, way better than the stock heatsink) because the computer is inside a compartment in a computer desk and it gets hot in there.

a few hours after i reinstalled windows the computer randomly rebooted itself, and it kept doing that off and on all day. i opened the computer to look at it, checked all the wires, reseated the memory, took off the heatsink and made sure that there was enough thermal grease, reset cmos, etc. it was still having problems and at one point wouldn't even start. i took it out and played with reseating etc and it rebooted again, but here is the wierd thing...

we've noticed that the whole time, if you slam the door on the desk, or close a drawer too hard, or even hit the top of the desk too hard, the computer reboots..this completely baffles me and i've never seen anything like it before. my dad wants me to check to make sure the cpu was seated right but i'm pretty sure that if it wasn't the computer wouldn't even boot. every component is new within the last couple of months except for the case itself, the floppy, video card, and the two optical drives.

so if anyone could suggest anything or has had a similar problem i would REALLY appreciate it, because this is the first time in 3 years i've ever had a stupid computer problem after building a pc and i've always been able to troubleshoot enough to solve any problems otherwise....

thanks alot,

jeff

Back