• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Plz, whats up with my cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhaseZero

MSI-645 Ultra
P4 1.6A
well i decided too take my mobo out and reseat heatsink and fan in hope to see if it would fix my temperature reading, because my bios temp reading only switches between 34, and 38 celcius no matter what. So i take the hs off and everything looks ok, i clean things up with acetone on a cloth. Everything went smooth and everything hooked up fine. But when i tried to start, no screen came up. No bios or anything, i looked at the mobo indicator lights to see the status, and after looking it up, it says my cpu is improperly installed or not working. I don't see how, everything looks good visually, no bent pins or anything. I tried resetting cmos and all that. Any other suggestions

in cases such as this, I always just take the computer totally apart, and reinstall all the hardware. Something could be loose, or not connected properly.

So i tore it all down and took the mobo out of the case and everything. Just a power supply, mobo, vid card, ram. I've reseated the cpu countless times. Earlier, i actually had bios come up for a second i just lightly pushed onto the hsf, but some alarm was goin off and according to the mobo status leds it was starting the chipset so it was something. Haven't got anything to come up again though. I wouldn't doubt it if it was my mobo, this thing hasn't been the most reliable. I will find out tomorrow if my proc is the problem by popping it in a test rig at the local shop.

What HS are your using? Also, did you use thermal paste in between the HS and the processor?

If you got it to boot while pushing on the HS, you might check to make sure one of the clamps on the HS isn't broken or not in all the way. That doesn't make that much sense though b/c you said that you'd remounted the cpu several times.

mtb856 said:
What HS are your using? Also, did you use thermal paste in between the HS and the processor?

If you got it to boot while pushing on the HS, you might check to make sure one of the clamps on the HS isn't broken or not in all the way. That doesn't make that much sense though b/c you said that you'd remounted the cpu several times.

i've only got bios to boot once by doing that, and the case speaker was giving off some annoying alert. I haven't got anything ever since. The heatsink is clamped fine. Theres AS3 between. The actual reason why i even took it off was to fix the retention bracket "Held in by those 4 white plastic pins, i was missing 1 so the heatsink would pull that corner of the bracket off. Anyways, i went to like 4 local shops today and none were willing to pop my cpu in their test rigs to find out if it would simply boot. They kept trying to charge me 25 dollars for a 2 minute job.

Can you pop it into a friend's computer to see if it'll work? I'd be hard pressed to convince my friends to let me disassemble their computers, but it's worth a try.... I don't think I'd pay 25 bucks either just to put a cpu in.

Does your motherboard company have a POST beep code file on their website? Some mobo's will tell you what's wrong through a series of beeps... so you might dig around for something like that.

Hope you get your computer up soon...

-Meatball

Back