• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first go at WC-ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gallapoo

So this is my rig (got the 'weapon-style' heatercore set up on top)
123asdf.jpg

I wanted to get after watering cooling for a while, infact I started last friggen x-mas and finnaly finished today, so I'll take to next day or so to post the entire process.

I started out taking out the PSU and labeling all the connections so I could put it back together a lot more easily when I needed to.
234asdf.jpg

What a fu-king mess....

Then it was time to say good bye to these crappy friggen gold grills.
345asdf.jpg

These dragon grills look a lot better, (took me friggen 8 tries to get everything together right.)
456asdf.jpg

I then drew out how I wanted the set-up to flow.
567asdf.jpg

And -stringed- it out in the PC to make sure it looked good
678asdf.jpg

I masked off the area where the heater-core would be put and got ready to cut out the area under it (the two layers are tape are to show me where the lip was.
789asdf.jpg

I cut the hole in the top and went about 1 inch inward instead of cutting single tabs for each bolt.
890asdf.jpg

You can see that I marked off the places where the bolts hit the top of the PC.

As you can see in the picture I friggen screwed up the hole placement, I had the rig the wrong way around...
901asdf.jpg

After the second try I got it right save to hole which I corrected.
1012asdf.jpg

I noticed that my res was too low down and didn't fit correctly in my case so I cut up an old mouse pad and taped it to my dvd drive, It was the prefect hieght.
1123asdf.jpg

I did cut the crap outa myself when i was using my box cutter
1234adsf.jpg

But it's all good, didn't even hurt, the damn thing was sharp (still have a scar a month later)
1345adsf.jpg

As you can see I still had a probelm the friggen thing was tipping down because of the was i had the tubbing
1456adsf.jpg

I found some sort of wire crap and bent a little bar of it and rounded off the edges (you're also looking at my lunch... which sucked, I wouldn't say there was any chicken in that thing, more like.... chicken flavored egg)
1567asdf.jpg

Anyway it fixed the probelm
1678adsf.jpg

Last edited:
Your final product looks very nice. For christmas I plan on making a WC-kit myself, hopefully it will turn out nicely. Oh and that lunch was 98% Fat Free, probably why it sucked. :p

Had some leakage probelms after I got everything running inside the machine an dumpped the fluid-Xp+ in there, thank the good lard that stuff is none conductive...
1901asdf.jpg

I wouldn't say I'm totally done yet, still got this to deal with...
2345asdf.jpg

I need to go buy some more FluidXP+ and if anyone has any extra PLEASE TELL ME!!!!
I'd also like to sleeve all the wires and get some CoolSleeve because of a kink caused by a tight turn (and because they would look cool).

Where did you Mag 3 leak? You replaced the o-ring with RTV sealant right? And used teflon tape on the nylon barbs?

Also, with the relatively tiny volume of a single bay res I think you would've been just as well off with a t-line. Instead of Fluid XP, why not just mix some 90% alcohol (ethyl rubbing alcohol most likely) and some antifreeze together to top off your fluid level with raising viscosity or reducing thermal capacity too much?

Welp the temps are good but I don't know how water does it'm guessing it's about +15 amb or so, I'm not even sure where the Mag is leaking, although it looks like the intake, don't know what RTV sealant is but I did use teflon tape. And I'm not sure exactly what your saying with the alcohol, are you saying to just add that to what I have in there already, and I'm not sure but I don't think alchol and oils work too well together (Fluid-XP is like a super duper light oil)

I don't know about the Fluid XP either. It was too expensive so I didn't even look at it. Have you tried just adding a bit of water? Relative to the amount of Fluid XP in the system it may not be enough to make it conductive.

What you want to do next time you drain your system is take the intake housing off the pump and replace the rubber o-ring with RTV sealant that you can get at any automotive shop. Get the blue stuff. It forms a gasket when you put the intake cover back on the pump and it'll never leak. Or you could just JB weld the whole thing on. The intake leaking is a common thing with the Mag 3. If you replace the o-ring with sealant or seal the intake cover onto the pump permanently you won't have a leak ever again.

Marine Goop works too but the RTV sealant is better.

Back