• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP90 Question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

piratelove

I'm doing a major upgrade to my computer, and I'm planning on getting an Athlon 64 (939 pin) 3000+, and I was planning on pairing it with the XP90.
I know this is silly, but on Newegg, it lists the XP90 as working with Athlon 64 3200+ and ABOVE. Is this just an oversight, or will it not work with the 3000+?
Also, any idea what the approx. cpu temp would be? I dont plan on doing any overclocking as of now.

Thanks.

I'm sure it will work on your chip. I'm unaware of any physical distinction that would compromise the process. Seeing as they are the same socket, and the HSF is rated for higher speeds chips than the one you posses, I would certainly expect superior performance.

Plain: It'll work. I'm getting one as well. Unfortunately, newegg(bastards) are sold out.

as for overclocking as long and you have a good fan you will certainly go far. From what i hear the XP-90 is quite superb :attn: Thus, your only concern should be pairing it with the proper fan that will deliver the amount of cooling necessary to reach you designated OC speed.

I plan on doing 2.4ghz with my chip(athlon 64 2800) :D My load temps should be somewhere around high 40s seeing as my current OC load temp with stock cooling is 55C. I was doing some research, and apparently the stock 70mm fan only produces 25CFM at around 3000rpm with about 33dba.

If i can find a fan that produces even 30cfm with less than 33dba, i would be thrilled. I'm sure everyone will recommend a panoflo fan, however, I've been looking at the thermaltake silent cat II. It's rated at about 21dba, but have been told it might be closer to 25-28DBA. Considering that it produces 53cfm, I think it's quite wonderful.

Nevertheless, as far and noise/performance goes people will recommend Panoflo. I suspect it's because no one has really tried the silent cat because everyone recommend Panoflo. I think I will take my chances with the thermaltake silent cat II

Last edited:
Npetune3000 said:
I'm sure it will work on your chip. I'm unaware of any physical distinction that would compromise the process. Seeing as they are the same socket, and the HSF is rated for higher speeds chips than the one you posses, I would certainly expect superior performance.

Plain: It'll work. I'm getting one as well. Unfortunately, newegg(bastards) are sold out.

That's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a complete idiot! Thanks for your help..... newegg needs to hurry up and get them back in stock!

Back