• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ti4200 Cooling Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hammerz

Registered
I have a Gainward Ti4200 which i plan to keep overclocked so i was planning to buy a thermaltake Giant 3 cooler (but if anyone thinks i should get different, please say!) but on the card, i have heatsinks already there. Is there any way to remove these without damaging my gpu?

Thanx!

It depends how the heatsinks are attached. Most GPU sinks are held in with little plastic pins that go through the pcb, so these pop of no problem. Other heatsinks can be held on with thermal adeasive and are harder to get off.

Search google and other places for things about removing a heatsink with thermal adheasive. I have heard a lot of different tricks, some involve heating it, others freezing it, most involve prying it with a knife :-/

Hammerz said:
I have a Gainward Ti4200 which i plan to keep overclocked so i was planning to buy a thermaltake Giant 3 cooler (but if anyone thinks i should get different, please say!) but on the card, i have heatsinks already there. Is there any way to remove these without damaging my gpu?

Thanx!

you have to remove the stock cooler if you want a new one yeah :)

Check your current cooler, and see if you can find out how its attached, if its with 2 (or more) push pins, try removing the pushpins (dont kill it, be carefull, that way, you can use them later on if something went wrong.. better safe than sorry) and then try twisting the cooler of of the card, dont pull it straight up, twist it.

Also try to look inbetween the GPU core and the cooler, to see if you can find out with how much paste it is attached, the stock paste will always stick a bit, so dont get scared :)

if you really cannot get it loose...then put the card in an anti-static bag, throw it in the freezer, let it cool down (wait anywhere inbetween 15 minutes and a day, you're choice, depends on how stuck it is) then try to twist the cooler of again. (if you freeze the stock paste, it will become brittle and break more easily)

good luck!

oh, the TT giant 3 may not be the best choice for cooling.. that cooler is mainly made for silent systems as far as i know, and it will also heat up your case quite a bit..maybe see if you can get the correct NV silencer from Arctic Cooling?

Back