• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9800PRO->XT Dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilxvietxboi

R9800PRO->XT Dead... Replacements. Need help

Welps, heres my ulogy or however you spell it.

My 9800 Pro lived for only 5 months. It was overclocked with XT bios, but never overclocked any higher. With Vantec Copper BGA Sinks and a properly applied VGA Silencer R.3.

Today as of 1:45, i declare it unofficially dead, because i want to be test on other computers. It was just a normal COLD(?!) day and I turned on my computer, and I was surfing the internet as normal, after about 30 min. It gave me a blank screen saying "pc going into power off mode"(it means that the pc is off or that its not recieving a signal)... i test the ram cpu and finnally a vid card.... im running on a crappy nVidia TNT/Riva w/ 16mb. LAME

anyone wanna diagonse any other possiblities?[Could be a motherboard problem because this is the 2nd card i lost within a year. Previous card was a GeforceFX5600 and it died almost a yr old]

Okay so im looking around at prices for video cards. I'm still leaning torwards ATi unless i find a retail store that sells the 6600... It's to bad the x700 didn't come out yet to retail stores for AGP. Okay anyone know any cheap sales going around(wtf at fry's a 9600xt is 199.00 while a 9800pro is 179.00[i bought mine there for 197.00])... so yeah(retail stores in south bay, california(los angeles)

crappp
eVGA N369 FX6600 256MB PCI-E TV/DVI out
256MB, 6600 PCI-E W/DVI+VGA+S-VIDEO
$169.95
ATI Radeon X700Pro 256MB PCI-E TV/DVI out - Retail
ATI X700Pro Chipset
$209.95
I want one of those(probably 6600), but i dont have freaking pci express... FAWK[oh yeah this is a retail store im getting these prices from, pretty good ehh? i prolly would never find a x700/6600 at compusa/frys/bestbuy muahaha]

do you think christmas/thanksgiving sales will kick in in about a 2weeks- a month to lower prices.

because im looking at BFG6800 OC'd by BFG(so no voiding warrenty this time) for 249.99 at Fry's... will it lower it around 20-50 bucks.

Okay another question. what benchmarks compare r9800pro/6600/6800/x700(toms hardware vga charts dont have the 6600/x700 so yeah)

Last edited:
Try reseating the card, unless you've done that a million times already. But sometimes that helps. The other step would be testing the card in other PC's and see how it works (which you've already ready to do I assume from your post?). There isn't much other things you could do except maybe try and see if VGA Silencer is making a good connection with the GPU core because sometimes the shim is a tiny bit higher then the core chip.

lilxvietxboi said:
Okay another question. what benchmarks compare r9800pro/6600/6800/x700(toms hardware vga charts dont have the 6600/x700 so yeah)

Anandtech has a good review of today's graphics cards with real world app's and w/3Dmarks here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2214&p=3

KK thanks for the linky, ill go check it out now.

anyone have an estimated date of when AGP versions of 6600/X700 will hit the retail shelves?

Back