• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prospects of SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

How many actually think that SLI is ganna make it big for the mainstream user. I just wanna know wat some of ur guys opinons are on SLI and having 2 graphics cards, or using one card and buying another one later. I'm kinda debating whether buying an expensive SLI motherboard and pairing it with something like a 6600GT, then buying another 6600GT later when games are more demanding. Wouldnt newer cards come with newer and better features, and you'll end up replacing instead of buying another card anyway?

ap673 said:
then buying another 6600GT later when games are more demanding.
That sounds like a good idea to me.But I say wait till the next generation of video cards and SLI motherboards mature more and become a little cheaper.

im not sure what to think about SLI, because like he said...when the newer cards come out they will have features that two older cards wont' have

then buying another 6600GT later when games are more demanding.

I think that will be a popular route. That'd be my plan.

What we don't know right now is the cost of the mainboards, and for some, how overclockable they will be. That could be an issue.

Looks like a standard to me now. All depends on when the new boards hit the street.

Just looked at Anandtech. SLI boards are supposed to be in the range of $150+ in their preview of the chipset.

if nvidia can do it right, and make all their card's sli compatible(which they failed already) while keeping costs low.

Heres how nvidia could hit it big, say a company like hp sells a system with a geforce 6200 for 700 bucks. This appeals to the masses. Then they say you can double the gpu power for 100 bucks more when needed, via sli. That would appeal to a large audience.

People want to use their hardware, the reason most people dotn upgrade parts is, they dont want to "waste" a part by not using it, so if they are using it, they will be more inclined tp upgrade.

Also, if nvidia does well with SLI i think ati will follow on, possibly helped by their friends at Alienware (who already have their own SLI tech seperate from nvidia) and storm the market too...

Sli is pure marketing hype.

Is just makes sense if money is no problem and if you want to pair up two ultras now (not later or next year) to get the most speedy gpu that is possible. If you buy 6600gt and pair them up you will perform slower then a single 6800ultra, because its not scaling like 1+1=2 gpu, its more like 1+1=1.8. Driver Improvement could enhance this calculation but by the time drivers mature the next gen vga cards will be out.

And: you need 2 6600gt = 400$ = a single 6800gt
A 6800gt can clock to ultra speeds, so there is no point in getting 6600sli.
And you need a pricey unmatured double pci-e board. After all you spend more money than others for less performance.

You can go out and buy two 6800ultra on the other hand, so you are basically throwing 1k out on vga cards. While it is just crazy expensive and its unsure up until which point you have the performance crown in your hands this path certainly makes more sense than the 6600 sli rubbish.

Buy a single card, trash it at ebay if you don't need it and buy the next card. That is the structure of update evolution i will follow, and sli won't change a thing on it.

Besides: check out nvidias 3dmark05 propaganda sli numbers, are they near the "double the performance hype"?

sargelarge said:
Sli is pure marketing hype.

Is just makes sense if money is no problem and if you want to pair up two ultras now (not later or next year) to get the most speedy gpu that is possible. If you buy 6600gt and pair them up you will perform slower then a single 6800ultra, because its not scaling like 1+1=2 gpu, its more like 1+1=1.8. Driver Improvement could enhance this calculation but by the time drivers mature the next gen vga cards will be out.

And: you need 2 6600gt = 400$ = a single 6800gt
A 6800gt can clock to ultra speeds, so there is no point in getting 6600sli.
And you need a pricey unmatured double pci-e board. After all you spend more money than others for less performance.

You can go out and buy two 6800ultra on the other hand, so you are basically throwing 1k out on vga cards. While it is just crazy expensive and its unsure up until which point you have the performance crown in your hands this path certainly makes more sense than the 6600 sli rubbish.

Buy a single card, trash it at ebay if you don't need it and buy the next card. That is the structure of update evolution i will follow, and sli won't change a thing on it.

Besides: check out nvidias 3dmark05 propaganda sli numbers, are they near the "double the performance hype"?

Ditto!!!! I agree with everything you said. Also, with the NF4 boards not having Soundstorm 2, you may want to rethink on holding off the upgrade, unless this does not pose a problem.

I want to upgrade my graphics card soon but i cant decide if i should wait a while for sli and the new generation of cards that will be out next year or go for a agp card now

Firah said:
I want to upgrade my graphics card soon but i cant decide if i should wait a while for sli and the new generation of cards that will be out next year or go for a agp card now

If you are planning to upgrade your MB to NF4 in the near future, I suggest you get the PCI/SLI video. PCI/SLI is the next generation video cards as AGP will eventually be obsolete in the distant future.

If you are planning to keep your board for a few more years, than get an AGP.

There are too many uncertainties about NF4 at the moment. I was planning to sell my AGP 6800 GT and upgrade to NF4 w/PCI but I am a little unhappy about the SS2 not available on the boards. I can always spend more money and buy a sound card to take care of that. I also heard a rumor the NF4 may have AGP slots.

I have read about the PCI performances, and basically they double in performance in comparison to AGP 6800GT, however, the test used the most expensive PCI 6800 GT ultras available, which can run hundreds of dollars a card, and you need 2 of them. Very expensive.

I think eventually, all of us will upgrade to PCI-E/X/SLI, but if you want to upgrade now, then you will need $$$$. The money you spend on AGP 6800 GT can get you one PCI video card now, and you can purchase another later down the road. I think this option is most appealing. It's your choice.

will it be possible to buy agp to pciexpress adapters for people that wana upgrade without having to buy a new gpu? seeing as nvidias pcie cards are simply agp cards with adapters on em anyways....

i am just worried about the temperatures they put out, imagine 2 6800GT SLI overclocked, woohooo.....

Ya i'm kinda leaning away from SLI now, as it seems it's not ganna be all its cracked up to be. The board is ganna cost around 200 bucks according to the inquierer. Who knows how 2 cards in SLI will overclock, temps they put out, and massive power requirements 2 cards would need. sargelarge also made a good point how its not ganna be like 1+1=2 gpus. And even though kinda irrelevant right now, when 2 cards are in SLI they become 8x bandwidth instead of 16x.

I'll probably upgrade to nforce4 ultra, 90nm s939 A64 3200, and pci-e 6800GT around christmas, as a lot of people are also planning. Hopefully this will all only cost $600-650 by xmas.

I wont make any real conclusions until we start seeing some real benchmarks but if their claimed increase in speed of 87% is even 70% I will be all for it. The 6800 Ultra does 67.7 in aquamark 3 and a 6600GT does 54.4. So an extra 70% would give you 92.5 in theroy in Aquamark 3. That sounds like a good deal to me.

Back