• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro and ATI Tool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HittingSmoke

Registered
I just flashed my Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 to XT today and everything went perfect. I brought up ATI tool and turned on temp sensing. It is recording at around 60c almost all the time except every once in a while when it drops to 20c and sits there for a while. I checked my card and it is identical to a pic I found of a Sapphire 9800 128 I saw that was labled as being an XT pcb on http://www.rojakpot.com/default.asp...&var1=92&var2=2 I have the one labled Radeon 9800 Pro with R360 core, 8x32MB DDR memory. Everything on my card matches this one except the cooler. It should have a probe but the temps just dont sound like they're accurate. They range from 59-66, I figure there should be alot more slack between full load and idle, and the sudden drops to 20c for no apperant reason. Anyone know why this is?

Also, when I flashed I didnt get the overdrive tab unlocked. I used BIOS that were marked as original Sapphire 128 XT BIOS, shouldnt that do it or do I have to reinstall Catalyst

The most accurate way to monitor your temps is a physical temp sensor, but your temps sound about right to me (if you ignore the random 20* readings). The sudden drops could be a faulty temp sensor or the card just being wierd - sometimes my mobo tells me my cpu is -30 even tho its air cooled and obviously hotter than that :D
As for overdrive - are you sure you flashed to xt - does your pc register it as an xt? if so, try reinstalling your drivers, i prefer the latest omegas myself, AFAIK you should get the overdrive tab (if your core really is r360).

R360 core doesn't mean u have the overdrive option though, if you are lucky and get the xt pcb then which I think you do else u would not be able to check those temp. Just get yourself a silencer rev3 and forget bout those temp altogether.

Well I have the pcb, and I already have a silencer ^ ^ I hooked it up before I ever put the card in.

And yea my card is flashed to XT, windows detects it as XT. Ill try reinstalling my drivers. Ive jumped back and fourth between omega and ATI's drivers a few times but Ive never found a favorite. They both seem the same as long as you have a good tool for 3D settings or dont mind using the ATI control panel

I reinstalled my drivers and my ATI control panel but overdrive still wont show up.... I dont understand. I know I have the XT pcb and a R360 chip, and im getting good temp readings from ATI tool. Is there anything else I should have done that I missed???

HittingSmoke said:
I reinstalled my drivers and my ATI control panel but overdrive still wont show up.... I dont understand. I know I have the XT pcb and a R360 chip, and im getting good temp readings from ATI tool. Is there anything else I should have done that I missed???

you have to have the right bios... which bios are you using and where did you get it from? I've seen at least two people tell me that the bios at rojakpot isn't the right bios for the 128mb 9800pro on the xt pcb.... if you want the bios I used go to the link below..... the Gecube bios has the overdrive and the sapphire bios doesn't..... I have both bios but haven't tried the Gecube bios yet... the people at rage suggest that the Gecube bios is a bit more stable than the sapphire... Just to let you know I've never had a problem with the sapphire bios and I have all the working temp sensors in atitool.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33762838

Yea thats where I got them but I got the Sapphire ones. Ill get Geocube. And the Sapphire BIOS may very well be unstable. Since I flashed every now and then playing certain games my PC just reboots all on its own. Temps are ok, I figured it might have been the BOIS.

Thanks ^ ^

HittingSmoke said:
Yea thats where I got them but I got the Sapphire ones. Ill get Geocube. And the Sapphire BIOS may very well be unstable. Since I flashed every now and then playing certain games my PC just reboots all on its own. Temps are ok, I figured it might have been the BOIS.

Thanks ^ ^

If you do reflash your system.... you might want to reinstall the video drivers to insure you have maximum system stability.

Back