• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CS: Source freezing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shuRe

I had this prob for ages now and really starting to **** me off. Specs are as below with windows xp and sp2. Tried reinstalling omega 4.10 drivers, tried worst settings in cs:s, no diff.

Basically i can play cs:s for maybe 2-3 mins between each freeze if im lucky, and when i do freeze i get looping sound and all movement stops. It lasts for about 4 secs, but sometimes forever. When i do stop freezing the items i have are highlighted up the right and dead bodies spawn around me.

PLEASE HELP!!

I had this problem at first and it was immediately resolved by overclocking my system less. Newer games, i.e. Doom3 and HL2, do not like overclocked systems, and are very sensitive to the stability of overclocked systems. Doom3/HL2 are, after all, far more taxing than CS 1.6, so there is a reason your system would freeze now if it didn't when you played older games.

In your case, I'm guessing the freezing is a result of your 9800 Pro, either that it is overclocked to far, or that it is flashed with a different BIOS. Let's be honest, your card really wasn't meant to be an XT, so flashing it as such is not desirable for it. I flashed mine to XT and Far Cry wouldn't run well, but other games would. Doom3 hated my 9800 Pro flashed to XT. So I said forget it, I'm going back to the Pro BIOS, and everything was silky-smooth after that.

That said, start by underclocking your 9800 Pro (still XT modded), to say, regular XT speeds. If this doesn't fix it, reflash your 9800 Pro BIOS. If that doesn't fix it, put your CPU/memory at stock.

If it isn't your OC, it's the drivers. Get driver cleaner, use it, love it.

Odie :)

I've heard of an exploit that gamers can do with their names that cause the server that they are playing on to crash. I'm not sure what happens to the clients that are on the server, but that might be what you are experiencing.

I had to back down on my cpu overclock (FSB actually) due to freezing in CS:S. Played other games fine, including Far Cry and Doom3 with the original OC.

do yopu think they will ever be able to solve the stability problems in these news games so we can run overclocked cards? I was hoping in the future to get an x800pro and flash it to XT, but im thinking now thats not such a great idea

do yopu think they will ever be able to solve the stability problems in these news games so we can run overclocked cards? I was hoping in the future to get an x800pro and flash it to XT, but im thinking now thats not such a great idea

Thing is, you're introducing the instability when you overclock. Overclocking inherently introduces instability, 'cause you're pushing your hardware further than it's spec'ed to do. It's not the game's fault that it's running the way it does.

i have an r360 core with an xt pcb on my rad 9800 pro, i put it at 412/362 (xt speeds) and it still freezes now and again. Why do i get freezing probs when im running my card at what it was origionally designed to run at?

Just because you have the right core, doesn't mean you have an underclocked xt. Your PCB board is probably a pro one, along with the memory (more important). Just keep in mind that a GPU upgrade is only a partial upgrade to the rest of the video card.

shuRe said:
i have an r360 core with an xt pcb on my rad 9800 pro, i put it at 412/362 (xt speeds) and it still freezes now and again. Why do i get freezing probs when im running my card at what it was origionally designed to run at?

it wasn't sold at an xt, because it wasn't up to manufacture's xt specs for stablitiy it seems...

Xenocide said:
it wasn't sold at an xt, because it wasn't up to manufacture's xt specs for stablitiy it seems...

What he said.

The stock clocks for your card are 380 to the GPU, 340 for the memory, not the 412/365 that the XT BIOS puts it at. That's why I say you have to reflash to the 9800 Pro BIOS to fix your issues.

Odie :)

Well I had this problem with my 6800GT.
I think you might be running xfire, the new patch has an option that will cause your comp to crash. To fix this, go to Tools/options/display and turn off "show chat messages in game."
I don't know if it is the same problem for you, but it sounds like it to me.

Back