• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Recommendations for an XP-90 & Fan combo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Naturally people would think of the tornado as the best choice, but I found a fan a few weeks ago that is better!

http://www.techonweb.com/shop/products/productdetails.aspx?id=290650

It's $16 though. Sanyo's are built like a champ, and unlike the tornado, this thing can be run down to almost completely silent. At full speed, it produces about the same specs as the tornado, but with 6 db less noise. I know you said noise doesn't matter, so at full speed this thing is awesome, but you can always turn it down too. Anyways, very few people know about this fan, but it's awesome for a heatsink. Also, it has close corners so you would need to either mod it (file down the tubes) to fit with the xp-90 fan clips, or put a 90mm spacer fan in between it and the heatsink (that's what I did). Stop by home depot and get yourself some #8-32 2" screws and washers to stick the fan and spacer together, works great.

The tornado can be had for cheaper though, so if you really dont' care about noise, get that.

How is the hub size on that Sanyo? The Sanyo 92mm that I have has a large hub, and doesn't have the counter-rotating fins for airflow correction.

The dead spot dosnt matter as much as it does with the other heatsinks on the Thermalright XP series. The dead spot is offset to the "top" of the heatsink, unlike the SP series where the deadspot is directly over the core. Sure it may have a large fan hub, but the big airflow can counteract that.

cetoole said:
How is the hub size on that Sanyo? The Sanyo 92mm that I have has a large hub, and doesn't have the counter-rotating fins for airflow correction.

just checked back in. Sorry but what exactly do you mean by hub?
On the tornado it has those non-moving fins, is that what you are referring to? This one doesn't have it either like your sanyo if that's what you're saying. Another poster on here compared the performance of the tornado to this sanyo, and said that although they were virtually identical in feel (the tornado feeling a tiny bit more powerful) he got a 1C drop in idle and load temps when switching to the sanyo. That on his sp-97.

Here's the link...it's toward the end...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=330574&highlight=micronel

One thing to remember is that the sound from this sanyo is also a deeper whine, and less annoying even at full speed than the tornado.

1056791822.gif

it pretty much just looks like that.

Edit: after reading nova's post, I got a better Idea of what you are talking about. It's a moot point with the xp-90 because the xp-90 clips attach to the bottom holes on the fan. Since the sanyo has close corners, you can't attach them unless you file them down or put on a spacer. I just took a cheap 92mm fan and gutted it, and have a spacer and it mounts fine. Great temps as a result!

Back