• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800 softmod pre temp concerns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ca420

Registered
I am getting ready to softmod my Pro and just want to get advice or compare temps with those that have completed the mod and have an ATI Silencer.

I am getting 39 degrees idle with Silencer and no overclock and Pro bios in ATI tool with fan at 100%. If I over clock to XT speed I get 53 degrees while artifact checking ( non found ) with Pro bios and 12 pipes.

I just want to make sure that I am good temperautre wise prior to opening the pipes which cannot be reversed.

Thanks for the advice!

Hey, if you're only getting 53C on ATiTool artifact scanning you are doing fine man.

Should be good for the flash. You should watch your temps though after you flash. Try to keep the card under 80C. Under 70C is better. And it'd be a smart choice to get some better cooling too like the ATI4 Silencer which helps keep the temps below 60C.

Good luck.

Spyd3r said:
Hey, if you're only getting 53C on ATiTool artifact scanning you are doing fine man.

Should be good for the flash. You should watch your temps though after you flash. Try to keep the card under 80C. Under 70C is better. And it'd be a smart choice to get some better cooling too like the ATI4 Silencer which helps keep the temps below 60C.

Good luck.

Thanks but I do have one of these on the card now ----> ATI4 Silencer. Those are the temps I am getting with the Silencer.

53 is perfect under heavy load. And that idling temp is great as well. I've seen temps as low as 28c idling when my room dropped in a temp a bit. The ATi4 really works great.

Cannot boot from either floppy disk. Followed instructions on extracting the files to the floppy disks too. Strange....

ca420 said:
Cannot boot from either floppy disk. Followed instructions on extracting the files to the floppy disks too. Strange....

Is your bios set to boot from floppy before your HDD?

Yes my bios is set to boot to Floppy first....it is not detecting the dos that is on the disks. I brought them to work today to see what the deal is.

It's the disks for sure, different computer and OS and get the same thing:

Remove disks or other media.
Press any key to restart

I have a different boot floppy so I will use that instead.

Last edited:
try creating a boot disk from your OS then move the bios files to the floppy. Now that I remember I think I had the same problem. Its been awhile since I flashed mine.

Made my own boot disk and it booted up fine.

Now for the big question..............did it work?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XTPE idling right now at 42 degrees with overdrive turned on.

I will now post in the sticky.

Lasted for a while but had to flash back to the Pro bios due to the computer locking up while gaming. VPU recover kept coming on during lock up and even if I turned it off it would still lock up.

Very strange, works great on Pro bios with 16 pipes.

Back