• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro to flat screen t.v

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArTiFaX

Hey, I once hooked up my pc to my stereo t.v which is a 25" citizen and it looked like garbage. So I was planning on purchasing a flat panel and hook it up instead of my stereo t.v, do you think it would have a better picture then my stereo t.v, or would i need a plasma/hdtv? If anybody has hooked there pc up to there flat screen t.v, please let me know how the quality is, I would really like to find out before purchasing. Thanx in advance.

On a flat panel, it would be flat, but thats about it. Still 640x480 interlaced. When your card says you can do 1024, thats a lie, it just makes everything smaller with the same resoltion. Even on my 32" HDTV when my friend came over with his X800, it didnt look great on teh desktop. We couldnt get the P resoltions working right and interlaced just stinks. Spend $300 and get yourself a nice 21" monitor, you will never regret it.

your telling me the aulity even stinks on an HDTV? screw that then!! do monitors come any bigger then 21" :p I wanna go ALL OUT!!! what about an LCD/monitor/t.v? Any thoughts on that?

21" is about the max size with a reasonable price, for crt's anyway. Any bigger and it becomes widescreen and/or twice as expensive as 1" smaller. You might find a 24" for $600ish, but 21" is very nice when your face is 1ft away.

I really considered an lcd at one point, but low refresh rates and high prices was a big turn-off. 21" is plenty big enough for me.

Currently I have this monitor with a dvi cable : http://www.azatek.com/details.asp?iid=510
2048x1536@75hz = yum. Save some money, and get a nice video card.

Ohh btw, HDTV's on their max resolution are something like 1880x1080 interlaced. If someone has the real resolution, please correct me. Anyway, that res stretched 32 inches and with interlace really doesnt look all that great. They can only run something like 1280x720 without interlace too, lower on plasmas and flatpanels.

Thanx yuriman, I believe I am just going to go with your idea and get a 21" monitor. Is the trinitron the best crt monitor out there? Thats seems like a pretty good deal for $295. Although I need to keep in mind thats US. So it would be about $400 for me canadian. Anybody know a good place to pickup a 21" monitor in canada? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I asked around, and everyone said Go Trinitron. Because its Aperture Grill, it has 2 tiny black lines going across the screen, but you have to look for them so see them. The picture is incredibly sharp, I thought my old 17" was sharp, but this shames it. It also has much better colors than any other monitor I ever used.

aperature grill eh? 2 tiny black lines? i've never heard anything about this ever before thats crazyiness! What do these tiny black lines do? why are they there? thanx again

There are 2 types of monitors, shadowmask and apeture grill. They say apeture has a better image. Anyway on shadowmask there is a big metal plate in the back holding the screen up...or something...im a bit vague on it. And with apeture there are 2 wires, I think. Either way, they arent noticable unless there is a solid color on screen, and even then they are small. Better IQ is worth it.

ahh ok i have somewhat of an idea now, thanx yuri. I am hopefully going to be getting it this weekend if at all possible. thanx again

Yuriman said:
Ohh btw, HDTV's on their max resolution are something like 1880x1080 interlaced. If someone has the real resolution, please correct me. Anyway, that res stretched 32 inches and with interlace really doesnt look all that great. They can only run something like 1280x720 without interlace too, lower on plasmas and flatpanels.
1920x1080 and yea, it's interlaced unless you have the big bucks to drop on one of the few high end Plasmas that do 1080p.

So your telling me a plasma t.v is the only kind of t.v that would look any good when hooked up to a pc? Screw that then, I will just go with a trinitron monitor, as big as i can possibly get. Anybody know a good resaler in canada to pick my monitor up from? thanx again!

I don't have that kind of cash :-( So anybody know a good resaler in canada? please let me know.. thanx

Back