• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech z-5500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KevDaMan

Registered
I plan to buy this for a small living room as a surround sound system. The reviews for this set are pretty scarce. Anyone have this or know of any good reviews?

There's a few reviews over at Amazon's website.
There are also a few reviews over at Neweggs site.

Bear in mind these are customer/user written reviews and not done by professionals. So far, most of what I've read for these speakers have been stellar. If I didn't have the 680's I would consider picking these up.

I use the z-680's for my bedroom HT setup. The 5500's seem the same with minor upgrades. One MAJOR change which to me is a downgrade is, the 5500's speaker wires are now hard wired into the speaker, 25', whereas the z680's used off the shelf speaker wire for any distance needed. If your rears are going to be more than 25' then you will need to splice the wire.

I wouldn't use a computer speaker system for your main entertainment system. The sound quality in the majority of computer speakers is mediocre. You're a lot better off buying system meant for home audio. Of course, it will cost more but the sound you'll get out of a good home theater system is worth the price imo. You're getting 5 speakers and a sub for $280, you really can't expect much from that.

For computers, the 5500 would be great because not many people want to spend a lot of money getting an awesome speaker setup for their computer. But the speaker system in your living room where you're watching movies from is definately worth the money. You shoud stay away from the mass marketed consumer home theater systems from names like JVC, Sony/Aiwa, Kenwood and the other generic name brands out there. Spending $1000 on a system is well worth the money because they will still sound great after 10 years or more while the cheaper systems will show their age quickly.

Hrmmm I was thinking about getting the 5500's over the Z-680's cause they have that huge 10" sub. I dont like the fact however that you now have to solder if you want to upgrade the speaker wire.

Also Weapon its easy to recommend someone spend a $1000 on a proper set-up because it sounds better but that is a serious increase in investment over some z-5500's or even some brand new z-680's that I have seen on ebay for around $220-250 dollars. Its kinda like telling someone looking to buy a honda civic they shoudl think about a porche instead cause they will get more out of driving it :).

Where as I agree with SOME of weapons arguments, the prices involved are a bit outragous to me. I am usin a HT setup for my computer speakers, and if i had purchase it all retail, it would be close to 900 bucks. But thanks to ebay and harman kardon speakers which are seriously sweet, the speakers were 50 and 75 bucks a pair! So i spent about 100 on my sub, 200 on the reciever years ago, and 125 for my speakers. 425 ish for a small HT setup... not too bad if you ask me, tho i know i can use some improvements.

Ya Buhammot those HK deals are sweet on ebay but I dont think they ship to use Canadians :(. I still think the best bet for KevDaMan to pick up some Logitech z-680's.

Kev I've only read good things about the new lines of Logitech speakers. My roommate has the z-680s and they are definately a good set but I can tell that they have been worn from his usage of them and he hasn't had them for all that long. I would say give the 5500's a try. I had the z-640s and they recently died, so I picked up the x-530s and they are much better (clearer, better midrange, tighter bass) than my z-640s so I'd imagine with a set of $300 speakers they would manage some upgrades/tweaks as well.

I didn't think about using ebay or online auctions to get speakers. That would save a lot of money(compared to buying close to msrp) and allow for a much better sounding system.

ok Im' going to buy them

I bought a $800 Kenwood system and well I was not that impressed so I brought those back and I'm now waiting for the z-5500's to get here. I know the home systems are better but if I'm going that route I'm going to need $2500 or so to get something good. For my price range this set of speakers will cost about $500 with tx and after I buy a new home system I'll give my Logitech z-5300's to my girlfriend and put the z-5500's on my computer when I can afford the good home entertainment gear. I'll let you all know what they should like, wish me luck!

Last edited:
GruffiGummi said:
http://www.maximumpc.com/reviews/speakers/review_2004-10-18.html

perfect 10 from maximum pc. that says enough for me

maximumPC......PC being the key word.

seriously though, 500$ spent on HT would sound worlds apart from the logitechs.

on a sidenote: 2500$ on a HT setup is excessive. 1000$ will get you a very nice setup if you know where to look. We'll be having this conversation in a few months to a year though. (some of you know what i'm refering to)

I'm with you man,I dont even use pc speakers for my pc.I know you dont either. Forget about using them for HT.That will be a total waste of money,especially since pc systems tend to get crappier with age and or die pretty quick compared to real sound systems.

stratcatprowlin said:
I'm with you man,I dont even use pc speakers for my pc.I know you dont either. Forget about using them for HT.That will be a total waste of money,especially since pc systems tend to get crappier with age and or die pretty quick compared to real sound systems.

And the z680's only died shortly after I started using them as a HT as well as PC speakers.

PC speakers do have the tendency to get crappier, whereas I think good HT stuff tends to sound warmer with age.

Droban said:
And the z680's only died shortly after I started using them as a HT as well as PC speakers.

PC speakers do have the tendency to get crappier, whereas I think good HT stuff tends to sound warmer with age.

Audio components dont get better with age unfortunatly. They all degrade, some faster than others.

Its possible that so many computer speaker systems die quickly because people turn them up too loud. The manufacturer might not design them to play full blast for hours at a time, but (at least in my experience) many people do this.

Azzkiller said:
Audio components dont get better with age unfortunatly. They all degrade, some faster than others.

Its possible that so many computer speaker systems die quickly because people turn them up too loud. The manufacturer might not design them to play full blast for hours at a time, but (at least in my experience) many people do this.

I think most speakers built nowadays will last much longer than speakers of the past. But with modern 5.1 setups, subs are gonna be taking the most beating.

I just picked up a set of Z-5500's and I'm very happy with them. The sub is very nice, and I love the control panel. I'm using my nforce2 soundstorm with the optical connection. The maximum PC review said there was some static in the center channel, I don't hear a thing in mine. Very happy with the purchase.

Back