• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD CPU damaging due to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ongmomo

Registered
There has been a lot of talk about how o/c cpus can reduce the lifespan and even kill it...

has anyone ever got ne experience of such a thing ?

like perhaps has ne one's cpu died due to o/cing?

just wondering :santa:

Well, if you run high voltages at a very high temp, then yeah. You'll kill your cpu. That would be like 2V+ at 55°C. That would either decrease your overclock or kill your cpu. If you're running lower than 1.9V, keep it below 55°C, if you're running 2V+, try to keep it around 45°C. There was a guy here recently that was running 2.2V at 51°C, and his chip died, so just be careful.

Nope....

AMD cores are alot tougher than Intel. I have yet to hear of an Athlon suffereing from Gradual-Death-Syndrome, or Sudden-Death-Syndrome that plagues Intel.

Thier was one Instance where the Athlon 64's would die when raising the memory voltage to high on the AN50R or ANR50 board i forgot the name of the board. This was like a real early A64 board and it doesnt happen on the newer boards.

Yeah, just overclocking it doesn't kill the cpu. It's the resultant heat in combination with high voltage that will kill the processor. If you can keep it cool, don't worry about it. I have a 46-47°C full load temp, and I've been running for months overclocked on this cpu.

i have 51 load 47 degrees idle o/c

my core is 1.775V
my mem is 2.9V

will i be safe ? Im jus worried...cause as a student...i don have m,uch of a buget...if i kill this...im done

Those temps/volts are ok, the temp is a bit high, but its far from dangerous at the voltage you're running, you shouldn't be worried.

I had a Mobile 2600+ that was running at 2.7GHz using 1.9V die on me in just over a week, temps never exceeded 50C. No idea why it died, doubt the voltage did it though. First Mobile that I had ever heard of dying..

Athlon64's are diff then Bartons guys. Running a really high memory voltage can dammadge the cpu cuss of its Integrated mem controller, same goes for running voltage @ 1.7v or higher. 1.7v for the A64 is like 1.9v for the AXP

is lower voltage always better? Now i have a stable overclock...should i try reducing voltage?

ongmomo said:

my core is 1.775V
my mem is 2.9V

will i be safe ? Im jus worried...cause as a student...i don have m,uch of a buget...if i kill this...im done

try enable max 88% "thermal throttling" if your MB/BIOS supports it
and also be sure to enable "shut down temperture" to be safe ;)

Yeah, if you can run a lower voltage stabily, then it is always better, because it will drop temps and increase stability. So you have a 3000+ A64 ? Or Barton? I can't tell from your sig. Although it could be a locked Barton, because their mult. is 12.5x. I believe.

Ha ha, I knew it.

Candymancan, I was right and you were wrong, I was right and you were wrong... ;)

Anyway :p Yeah, for a barton, running it at 51°C is fine, but if it gets any higher during the afternoon, just drop your overclock back a bit. It's better to lose 100 Mhz than it is to lose your cpu.

Umm right about what, i know more about A64's then you do and prob more about AXP's i am right about everything i said. And he never mentiond a AXP or A64 he just AMD cpu's. AXP's can die or get dammaegd when running high voltages like 2v and A64's can die or get dammadged by running voltages higher then 1.7 or 1.75v, of for the memory on the A64 using 3.3v or more.

Not saying that this happen itsj usta possibility that it can happen to you iv seen it before happen.

:)

I was just joking man, just read this and I had to post something.
Athlon64's are diff then Bartons guys

I'm pretty certain that you know more than I do about A64's. I'm still trying to understand the basics on how to overclock them. The fact that overclocking your ram does diddly is a little odd to me. I've still got a lot to read about A64's before I'll get it.

r u plannin to upgrade u're 2600+ m?
I jus settled into this new rig lol =/

posted by CandymanCan

AXP's can die or get dammaegd when running high voltages like 2v

That is not true.

I have never heard of a Socket A Athlon processor failing from being overclocked too high, or overvolted too high within stock BIOS limits (someone once used the argument that a 5V Vcore would kill your chip - which is pretty obvious, and a silly example) - 2.2V being the limit of most BIOSes, and unmodified boards.

Running at a 2V Vcore voltage 24/7 with decent temperatures (~45C load with that much voltage is desireable) is safe with these processors. Socket A Athlon deaths are almost all attributed to heat as a result of voltage, or overclocking - never the voltage or overclock itself. Overclocking is all cause and effect - overvolting and overclocking lead to heat, heat leads to hardware problems. Running your chip at unsafe load temperatures with a stock Vcore voltage is just as dangerous as doing so with a hefty Vcore overvolt in place.

What defines an "unsafe load temperature", is how much voltage you're using; more voltage, and you need to run your chip cooler to stay within the boundries of heat-related safety.

posted by enduro

It's the resultant heat in combination with high voltage that will kill the processor. If you can keep it cool, don't worry about it.

enduro, you hit the nail right on the head.

posted by ongmomo

my core is 1.775V
my mem is 2.9V

I'm not sure what kind of cooling you have, but in your position, a good copper Thermalright Heatsink, and a nice 80mm fan would be the best investment you could make. For ~$30 you'll be able to lower your temperatures signifigantly, and also increase your overclock a good deal.

posted by ongmomo

is lower voltage always better? Now i have a stable overclock...should i try reducing voltage?

If your overclock is stable, and you have been running your system for awhile, it's a great idea to see if you can lower your Vcore, while still maintaining that stability. It isn't uncommon for Processors to "burn-in" after some time being run overclocked and overvolted, and take voltage better. Not to mention that Thermal Paste like Arctic Silver will 'set', and improve heat transfer over time. So you may well find that you can slightly lower your Vcore overvolt without compromising your overclock's stability.

posted by CandymanCan

i know more about A64's then you do and prob more about AXP's

Was it neccessary to say that?

I C..i use an slk-800 wit ha 60 CFM fan...im thinking to upgrade to a heatpipe cooler with a vantec tornado

You could, but the SLK probably works pretty well as it is. Especially with that fan that you have. Have you considered using a 92mm Tornado on the heatsink that you have? Other than that, the SI 97 looks pretty nice, and it's cheap. I haven't read any reviews on it yet, so I'm not sure if it's better than the X80 or 90 or whatever.

Look at this though. Your hs is right on level with mine. I'd just buy a Tornado, give it a try, and see if it works better. You could also try making a duct to your cpu, so your temps drop more. For a while, I had to do that, because my case airflow was so low. No I have 140 cfms coming in, and like 120 going out. I had to do this for a while. It's ugly, but when I had bad case airflow, it dropped my temps by 11°C.

Keep in mind, this is not what my computer looks like now. This was several weeks ago. I'll have to post a pic of my current rig so I'm not embarrassed ;) :eek:

I just bought ducting tubing from Home Depot, bought a Delta fan to fit on the front of my case, and then attached the tubing between my cpu hsf, and the Delta. I used the Delta because it is high pressure. Low pressure fans don't work at all with this idea, so it's either a Delta or a Tornado.
DSCF0215.jpg

All right, and here's the current pic. I still have the Delta in place, but I added a 120mm Delta at the bottom front as well. I know that it is in the earlier pic, but that's because that is a newer picture. When I first installed it, I only had the Delta 92mm there.
case5.jpg

Back