• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

softmod 9800se?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes try using the omega's drivers. You will see a good performace gain from unlocking the other 4 pipes. Also if it fails you can just boot into safe mode and unistall the drivers.

Good luck...

shadowblade1 said:
can you softmod a 9800se to pro? ;/ would it be a great performance gain? thanks.

See, what I tell you? I bet there will be more ATI users who will post great ideas for unlocking those pipes!

BTW...Get a nice cooler and RAMsinks for that card while you're at it.

I have a link here for an ATI 9800se 128mb for just $130.00 and the ATI 9800 Pro 256mb is $249.00.

In other threads I read that there's really not much a performance difference between the 128mb vs. 256mb.

Heres the link for the ATI 9800se for $130.00 - http://www.bestbargainpc.com/atira98bysa1.html

Can someone please confirm that this 9800se card can be flashed into a 9800xt and then overclocked even further? I'm a newbie so at this moment things need to be repeated to me twice before I catch on :D Does it matter on who the manufacturer of the card is? I see Hercules, Sapphire, Powercolor, Syntax, Gigabyte, Asus, Metron etc.

On ebay I'm betting on an 9800SE card for around $60 with 12 hours left.

Thanks guys

That card will NOT softmod into a 9800xt, it will only softmod into a 9500 Pro with an R350 core. If you see on the picture of the card, the memory is in an I configuration which means that it is a 128-bit memory bus. The card you want to buy has the memory in an L configuration, meaning 2 chips going along the top edge and 2 chips along the side edge. Check a regular 9800 Pro to see what I mean

Trios

Trios said:
That card will NOT softmod into a 9800xt, it will only softmod into a 9500 Pro with an R350 core. If you see on the picture of the card, the memory is in an I configuration which means that it is a 128-bit memory bus. The card you want to buy has the memory in an L configuration, meaning 2 chips going along the top edge and 2 chips along the side edge. Check a regular 9800 Pro to see what I mean

Trios

Thanks for the tip Trios. I'll look carefully on future cards :thup: I'm glad i asked because I almost bought it.

Thank you on saving me $$$

Not a problem. I had a 9500 np that I softmodded into a 9700 np (and then overclocked PAST 9700 Pro :p), and I became very knowledgeable on the subject when I decided to hardmod the card. It ran fine for about a year and then crapped out on me, I don't think it liked being run so much faster and harder than it was supposed to, 24 hours a day for a year....

But anyhow, the memory config is the biggest think to watch out for on 9800SE cards, as the 128bit bus really castrates it's performance.

Trios

Yep, that's a full-fledged 9800 non-pro. You can get it if you want, most likely it will overclock about as well as a Pro, but certainly not as well as an XT, and your memory clock might be less than average since often times non-pros come with slower memory.

Still a good card though, and a decent price it seems.

Trios

Trios said:
Yep, that's a full-fledged 9800 non-pro. You can get it if you want, most likely it will overclock about as well as a Pro, but certainly not as well as an XT, and your memory clock might be less than average since often times non-pros come with slower memory.

Still a good card though, and a decent price it seems.

Trios

Thanks Trios, I just found another card thats a 9800 pro for $127.00 on ebay with less than 11 hours left for the auction to end. How much is the most I should pay for a 9800 pro to be considered a good deal? I will do the xt to a softmod to a pro card and learn from others and use some GOOD COOLING on it.

Beginner said:
Thanks Trios, I just found another card thats a 9800 pro for $127.00 on ebay with less than 11 hours left for the auction to end. How much is the most I should pay for a 9800 pro to be considered a good deal? I will do the xt to a softmod to a pro card and learn from others and use some GOOD COOLING on it.

Heres a Powercolor 9800 Pro EZ for $149 and $15 shipping - http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-POWERC-132

Whats does "EZ" mean? Is it a cheap version thats not softmodable to an xt?

Thanks again

I don't know what EZ means, it might not be softmoddable, not all are. Ussually it's only the newer 9800 Pros that are softmoddable, if this is old stock there's no way it's going to be an XT pcb.

I just wouldn't bet on getting an XT, just buy what you want and be happy with it.

Trios

Back