Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

I Eat Pineapple Skins - Is This a Bad Thing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 10-20-04, 02:09 PM Thread Starter   #1
felinusz
Senior Overclocking Magus

I Eat Pineapple Skins - Is This a Bad Thing?

Well, I was just eating a fresh slice of Pineapple, my favourite fruit.

When my friend saw me eat the skin, as well as the fruit inside, he was astonished, and told me that eating pineapple skins is like eating wood, and really bad for my digestion system.

He claims that it can't be digested properly, and shreds up your Intestines.

I've been eating Pineapple skins for the longest time... - is this an unhealthy thing to do?

I eat Lemon skins also, but only if I get a lemon slice in a drink.

felinusz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-20-04, 04:17 PM   #2
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Well, truth be known, everything is bad for you. Try eating two pounds of carrots, your skin will turn orange. Or you could eat two pounds of alka-seltzer. You would -- well I will leave that to your own imagination.

Actually, I really can't see how pineapple skins are going to be all that bad. Lots of kids eat all manner of non-food stuff like paste or paper when they are young. As long as there is nothing really bad in what you eat (like leaded paint), you are probably reasonably safe.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-20-04, 06:13 PM   #3
diggingforgold

10 Year Badge

As long as you chew it really good, I don't see how it can harm you. If anything it will just pass right through. Kinda like fiber.

This reminds me of that guy that eats sand.
diggingforgold is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-20-04, 06:13 PM   #4
Crash893
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

10 Year Badge

i would think its not to good

however as long as you chew it up pretty good i think you would be fine

and no its not like eating wood ( eating wood is like eating wood)

i eat a whole lemon wedge from time to time and i love pinapples ( i dont eat the skin thats a new one to me)

i'm moving to Theory, Everything works there
' I want to be the unwobbling pivot at the center of an ever-revolving universe; I want to be still.'
Crash893 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-20-04, 07:15 PM   #5
Eclypsyr

well I know the skin on other fruits and vegetables often have an abundance of vitamins that no one ever consumes...so who knows, if you can digest it it might be good for you

Old 10-20-04, 07:24 PM   #6
turd

10 Year Badge

Ive been In both Hawaii and Thailand where combined about 80% of the worlds pinapples come from and at both places I have observed field workers peeing all over those plants out in the field.
turd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-20-04, 07:24 PM   #7
*jj

Eating them is fine, the skin (make sure it's washed well) and right under the skin actually contains most of the vitamin and mineral content. The skin and core also have a digestive enzyme called bromelain that helps break down protiens. Absolutely good for you, so infact its kind of the opposite of your freinds unscientific statement about it messing up your digestive system, it actually improves it, and belive me your stomach acid is well capable of breaking down just about any organic material.

*As far as the carrotts turning your skin orange, its actually a cleansing effect. The molecules from carrott juice are very similar to your own blood molecules. The orange or yellowing color is just the leftovers from the "housecleaning" effect. You could take the juice out of the carrott (the rest is just fiber) and filter it of all pigment making it clear, and you would still get this orange/yellowing effect.
*jj is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-20-04, 07:27 PM   #8
*jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd
Ive been In both Hawaii and Thailand where combined about 80% of the worlds pinapples come from and at both places I have observed field workers peeing all over those plants out in the field.
and what you think the native and migrant workers here in the states farms are much better? Unfortunately unless you grow your own stuff, you will be exposed to all types of soil and atmospheric polutants and toxins
Old 10-20-04, 10:09 PM   #9
ashenfang
The Jet Man!

Actually, take a look at this

Quote:
Scientific Name
Ananas comosus
Common Name
Pineapple

Family
Bromeliaceae
Plant Description
Perennial herb with basal, erect, stiff, sharp-pointed and spiny-margined leaves; flowers and berries in an erect, tight cluster.
Mode
Dermatitis; ingestion of large quantities of raw pineapple and/or sap from leaves.
Poisonous Part
Sap from leaves.
Symptoms
Mild skin irritation from contact with juice; mechanical damage from sharp-pointed leaves; irritation to the eyes from splashed juice; irritation of mouth, lips, and tongue.
Edibility
EDIBLE PARTS: Mature fruit edible raw or cooked.
Toxic Principle
Bromelin, ethyl acrylate, and calcium oxalate crystals.
Severity
CAUSES SEVERE PAIN IN THE MOUTH IF EATEN! SKIN IRRITATION MINOR, OR LASTING ONLY FOR A FEW MINUTES.
I guess if you don't eat the leaves, should be okay

Edit, wanted to add this from another site

Quote:
Unripe pineapple is not only inedible, it is poisonous, causing throat irritation and severe vomiting and diarrhea. Excessive consumption of the fibrous pineapple core can result in fiber balls collecting in the digestive tract.

source: http://homecooking.about.com/library.../aa081301d.htm

Old 10-20-04, 10:20 PM   #10
*jj

is that saying bromelain is toxic?..I have it in my multi vitamin..lol
Old 10-20-04, 10:47 PM Thread Starter   #11
felinusz
Senior Overclocking Magus

Quote:
posted by **jj

Eating them is fine, the skin (make sure it's washed well) and right under the skin actually contains most of the vitamin and mineral content. The skin and core also have a digestive enzyme called bromelain that helps break down protiens. Absolutely good for you, so infact its kind of the opposite of your freinds unscientific statement about it messing up your digestive system, it actually improves it, and belive me your stomach acid is well capable of breaking down just about any organic material.
That's what I figured . I always wash my fruit thoroughly, so I guess it's not an issue. I', not surprised to hear anout the peeing pineapple growers - I was always under the impression that stuff like that happened. Since the skin is organic matter, it's basically just great fibre/ruffage that should help with digestion, and help you maintain a healthy number of bowel movements.

Quote:
posted by Crash893

and no its not like eating wood ( eating wood is like eating wood)
Wow, that's *EXACTLY* what I told my friend about his comparison between pineapple skins and first wood, then tree bark of all things. Eating Pineapple skins is like eating Pineapple skins I told him, and not like anything else. He maintained his position, based solely on his incorrect comparison, and told me that when I develop an ulcer, I shouldn't come crying to him .

I hate it when intelligent people, like my anti-pineapple-skin friend, use their intelligence to rationalize an incorrect statement or opinion, simply in order to maintain the sense that they are *correct* in their argument.

Thanks for all the info guys .

felinusz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-21-04, 03:44 AM   #12
Veland

Well, supposedly the problem with pineapple is that the fibres are short, thin and sharp. So the story I've been told, is that the fibres puncture you stomace and such, getting into your bloodstream and eventualy get stuck in the thinest vessels, causing acne and stuff like that.

Can be complete BS, but I don't know.. Still, I do eat pineapples..

As for carrots, caroten (that stuff that makes your skin yellow) can kill you! Caroten poisoning.. And drinking distilled water in large enough quanteties can cause electrolytic collaps, leading to instant death..

EVERYTHING is bad for you..

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong, is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair
(Mostly Harmless, by Douglas Adams)

WYGIWYGAINGW=What you get is what you're given and it's no good whining!
(The science of Discworld, Terry Pratchett)
Veland is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-21-04, 01:19 PM   #13
Cerberus2k7
Drifto Mexicano

Yeah everything is bad. Some freaks are trying to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide. AKA H20 AKA Water.

But it's okay to have those weird habbits. We all have something like that that will probably kill us over time; besides our hearts. Mine is with blood. Too bad we don't have a vampire face on here

Member of OCdriftingNinjas | You gotta' Fold if you wanna turn up the Heat
Overclocking: My Anti-Drug. | Overclocking my body...one day at a time... | Black Belt Ubercloxx0r | You are the most ripped yo-yo'er I have ever seen. - Seven
HTPC | i5 2500k@3.8 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 16GB HyperX | GTX 460 1gb@845/1100 | 1.5TB | Silverstone LC10S-M | Corsair 500w
Cerberus2k7 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-23-04, 03:26 AM   #14
neonblingbling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpine Walis
Well, truth be known, everything is bad for you. Try eating two pounds of carrots, your skin will turn orange. Or you could eat two pounds of alka-seltzer. You would -- well I will leave that to your own imagination.

I have been thinking of what to do for Halloween.....

The carrots, the carrots.

Anyways, I live in Hawaii, and some pineapple fields are a short (5 mile) bike trip away from my house (near Dole plantation, if any of you know where that is). There is a strech of highway going through the fields in a way, and I think pee would be the last thing to worry about. With how ever many people driving past there, the oil from the cars, the trash some inconsiderate monkeys threw out, etc. Oh well, it is still beautiful.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.