• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video plays on laptop, but not monitor connected to it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13rian

It just happened about a week ago and any kind of previously playable video I executed, my exterior monitor won't show. The strange thing is that my laptop monitor shows the video just fine. I actually didn't notice this last part until now b/c I always turn the LCD off when the exterior monitor is plugged in.

I reinstalled codecs, rollbacked WMP10 to WMP9, and I even tried playing with VLC player, supposedly the run-anything player...still nothing.

Laptop Spec's:

Acer Aspire 1662WLMi (all stock)

13rian said:
It just happened about a week ago and any kind of previously playable video I executed, my exterior monitor won't show. The strange thing is that my laptop monitor shows the video just fine. I actually didn't notice this last part until now b/c I always turn the LCD off when the exterior monitor is plugged in.

I reinstalled codecs, rollbacked WMP10 to WMP9, and I even tried playing with VLC player, supposedly the run-anything player...still nothing.

Laptop Spec's:

Acer Aspire 1662WLMi (all stock)

I always have that problem with my laptop. Close the laptop screen all the way, that usually helps. Good luck!
:)

Matt

try this for me, right click on desktop, go to properties, now click the settings tab, and then hit advanced. go ahead and hit the display tab and make sure the monitor is on and set to the 2 little squares. I hope this solved your probs

killerkid

Killerkid's plan worked perfectly, I think. I'll just try to clarify more specifically in the "displays" tab.

The monitor and laptop both had the two same symbols: 1) a filled circle with an outer circle and 2) 2 boxes, one overlapping the other, like the symbol between the close and minimize button on the top right of most application windows when maximized. The monitor had #2 highlighted and visa versa for the laptop. I just switched this and now all my originally playable video files can play on the exterior monitor, but not on my laptop, which is okay for me now that I know how to change it. Thanks guys!

Back