• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I am gonna be sick!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sam

Registered
I think i just broke me Pent III 1 Ghz.... I did a mobo change and the thing just wont boot... I took a look at the CPU and the corner of the core is scratched.... I guess I wasnt carefull enough when i was applying the heatsink.

300 dollars down the drain.... I am ill.

Ouch! :( I am wincing along with you right now! Did you try switching back to the other mobo yet?

No... I had the guy at the shop test the mobo about three hours ago. I really think it is the chip.... it does not POST no beeps..... nothing.... is that the chip?

Zuck Gou :) said:
Try for an RMA. Intel is really good with backing their products.

Execpt when you mess'em up yourself.

I screwed up my first p3.. guess what I did?

Bought another one, I dont rip off retailers.

-Trek

Sounds all to familiar,

Last year I bought a new Abit BE6-2 raid100 and that Mobo was sent to me from Satan himself. I put in a cherry PIII 800E that did 1.1 at default voltage and the killer mobo just killed it in a split second, I was like what the heck??? I tried the Cpu in the old Mobo and it was definitly a cooked goose... Luckily I had a second 800E that would hit 1gig at default voltage slapped some ASII onto the Alpha3125 and POOF it was dead just like the first, at this point I couldnt believe my luck. I sent that mobo back to the dealer and he tested the Mobo and guess what?

He fried a new Cpu as well.....I bet he was more ****ed than me ;)

Anyway he made good and replaced the Mobo and the two cpus......... But I didnt get an 800 that would do 1.1g so that kinda was a bummer.:confused:

PS From one Sam to another I feel for you bro, I hope it all works out for you.

i guess i am gonna have to get a Cel 667 that i can get for 80 bucks to put on there till i can afford another 1Ghz...... big bummer..... i tested the chip on two other boards..... i hate frying 300 dollar CPUs!!!

My Gorb put jagged edges on every side of my cel600@945. It still works. I will never use a Gorb again!

and definitely try for an RMA!

What do you think I will be able to get my Cel 667 up to??? I have a modded case with two 120mm fans to cool the case and a Globalwin KAK Copper Heatsink...

sam said:
What do you think I will be able to get my Cel 667 up to??? I have a modded case with two 120mm fans to cool the case and a Globalwin KAK Copper Heatsink...

Sam,

The OC.com CPU database shows this on 667 celeron II's

Total Entries in Database for Celeron II 667 - 53
Average overclocked speed - 978 Mhz

Hey maybe this happened to you so that eventualy you could save up and buy a Tualatin with 512 cache.....maybe they will come down in price before the holidays...

regards,

The other Sam

Man that sucks. I would hate a fried 300 cpu too.
I bought a duron first in case I messed up putting on the hsf, that would only cost me 30 bucks to replace. But man 10 times that would really suck. I don't have a job either, so anything I buy has to be saved up for.

Try to rma it, it's you last option

sam said:

Why not go for an 800? Can't be much more expensive.

I'd recommend a 633 or 600 though instead of the 667.

I didn't even realise they could be cracked until I took a small corner off mine with a FOP, it still works but I'm a lot more careful now. Does any one know what the cap is made from, I always though it was nickel but the fact that it cracks has left me unsure.

sam said:
No... I had the guy at the shop test the mobo about three hours ago. I really think it is the chip.... it does not POST no beeps..... nothing.... is that the chip?
Have you taken the chip back for testing? I had the same problem while upgrading to an ASUS p4t. I got nothing at all. I was using two rdrams and configured them according to the manual. No beeps or anything. Changed the congiguration and got a video beep. Pulled out my TNT2 card and installed an ATI Expert 98. Allowed me into the bios. I went back to troubleshooting the video. I looked at the card and at the connector and saw what appeared to rubbing where the 4x tab goes into the slot. I called my vendors tech support and he told me right off even before i could tell him my observations that to him it sounded as though the video card was not seating at the rear. This was consistent with what I saw. I knew the carfd was good because it was being moved from a board that had operated just find so the agp pro connector was suspect. Because it took me 6 weeks to get the board and I intended to replace the video card anyway I chose to modify the cards 4x tab. This was not as destructive as it sounds. Just some jewelers filing of the pcb in the area that showed stress from the bad contact. I did this until the card seated completely (I omitted the fact that there was a one eighth inch gap at the screw when the card would seat no farther) booted the system. Bingo. I still have a motherboard with an out of spec agp connector but I know how to work around it. What is my point? Just because you don't see anything when you initially try to boot after an upgrade don't blame any one thing. Systematical elimination of the possibilities will help us arrive at a logical conclusion. Don't panic and don't give up on that chip.:)

That's bad man, frist try the cpu on other mainboard, if it's really broked try to contact intel and with a bit of luck they will replace it...Good Luck manhope you get a new one

Don't give up on that chip yet.
Once you are sure that it doesn't work anymore, make a keychain ! Maybe i'ts good for business !

Back