• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does overclocking do anything?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jotolicious

I am not JoT
right so i just tried overclocking my 9600np w/ ATI Tool...

stock core: 324
stock mem: 189

i got it up to

core: 390
mem: 200

ok and then i tried playing morrowind and i watched the fps w/ stock and oc'd settings, and it was virtually the same. :eh?:

so did i do something wrong or is that about right? :eek:

Honestly, thats not much of an oc on your gpu. Use 3DMark to bench mark, its easier to compare fps and the fact that it gives a score at the end helps also. Try ocing until you see artifacts then back off a bit and of course make sure you have sufficient cooling.

Windom said:
You're usually not going to see a huge improvement, maybe a 5fps increase with that OC.

5fps eh? :-/

i didn't see any increase basically. like w/default settings the area i was going thru was getting ~11fps... and w/the oc i was getting... ~11 fps :D

checking the 3d view fps reader in ATI tool, when i change the settings from default to oc, the fps jump initially from 42 to 48, but after several seconds it goes back down to ~42

i got it to core: 418 and mem: 199. that's the farthest it goes w/o artifacts. the mem doesn't go anywhere past 200, it artifacts like crazy.

ahh whatever i need a new vid card anyways :D

thanks all

Last edited:
That is a pretty piddly memory overclock. Ussually memory overclocks effect a graphics card more than a GPU OC.

Also, make sure you're using modified drivers (http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/), otherwise every time a 3D application is started the driver will revert the GPU to stock speed.

Trios

does overclocking do anything?

It does lots, it makes your card run faster than it should and it also deteriorates(sp) its life much quicker.

Honestly, everyone says that memory speed is more important that core speed for better performance, and with 11mhz jump in memory I would imagine that you wouldnt see any difference. Put some sinks on that ram and try it again. If not, your card is probably got the memory as much as itll go.

If your serious about overclocking you can try a different bios in your card. That helps alot of people, but its very risky. You can totally ruin your card this way.

If you are serious though, flash it, leave the gpu speed stock and try cranking the memory alone. Leave the gpu where it is. Once you get the memory stable well above what you have, THEN play with the gpu. But if the memory wont go past 200, then I guess youll have to live with what you got

Back